Newbie Question: High Beam/Low Beam

Total and absolute newbie alert!

I'm putting an old motorcycle back on the road and to pass inspection it must have both high and low beams. The original light that was there had a ground an two positives. Dual filament, maybe? I think it was 65 watts if memory serves. Now I have an automotive fog lamp in there and it works very well but I only have a high beam. Single filimanet bulb? So, I wonder if there's a way to give both high and low with this lamp?

Reply to
MeezerMan

No !

In addition to the two filaments having different wattage, the focal points are not the same.

Reply to
DJ Doc

Depends on the structure of the reflector.

Earlier car and M/C lamps were sealed beam and had the 3 connections as you mention. If you can find one that fits you are in bussiness. Later lamps take a bulb with the filaments offset as suggested and again have 3 connections.

Describe your lamp size better and ask in rec.autos.tech or post a picture somewhere.

--
John G

Wot\'s Your Real Problem?
Reply to
John G

Not that would pass inspection.

Bite the bullet, and get a proper motorcycle headlight.

Sorry, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

No - this is not an acceptable solution.

Low beam and High beam headlight have different "aims" or beam shape - not just (or not necessarily) different intensities.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

since you already have the wire for both levels you can simply use a string of diodes rated for the lamp in series to reduce the drive from the low beam wire to the lamp and have the high been wire simply connect directly to the lamp which will by pass the low line. each diode will drop your voltage about 0.6 volts. etc.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

| > I'm putting an old motorcycle back on the road and to pass inspection | > it must have both high and low beams. The original light that was | > there had a ground an two positives. Dual filament, maybe? I think it | > was 65 watts if memory serves. Now I have an automotive fog lamp in | > there and it works very well but I only have a high beam. Single | > filimanet bulb? So, I wonder if there's a way to give both high and | > low with this lamp? | since you already have the wire for both levels you can | simply use a string of diodes rated for the lamp in series | to reduce the drive from the low beam wire to the lamp and | have the high been wire simply connect directly to the lamp which | will by pass the low line. | each diode will drop your voltage about 0.6 volts. | etc. |

That would not pass the inspection.

The High beam is focused higher than the low beam, and very often they are the same wattage.

Reply to
DJ Doc

Plus the light color would change - more yellow at lower voltage.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

I appreciate everyone looking out for me like this. I really do. I know the light has two areas of focus. But this 'inspection' is realy pretty much a joke. The last time I got one done they didn't even come out and look at the bike - the guy just looked out his window without getting out of his chair.

Besides, when it's done with 'inspection' I don't plan on using the low beam anyways.

Thanks for the ideas! Keep 'em coming!

Reply to
MeezerMan

aim it down or up, but I don't think that'd pass unless you can figure a way to re-aim it without taking your hands of the handlebars - a solenoid or central-locking actuator is a possibility...

--

Bye.
   Jasen

Why not fix it right so that you aren't a menace to yourself or anyone else on the road?

-wlb

Reply to
Bill