Battery Condition Test - how can I tell if the battery I bought is good ?

I bought a 9V Lithium cell primary battery (single use battery, not Li-Ion rechargable like in cellphones). I suspect it might be old or not in good condition. To test it I hooked it to 500 Ohm resistor and measured the output voltage: No Load Vout = 9.8V Loaded Vout = 9.5V and reading drops by ~10mV every 2sec After the first test the battery reading changed again: No Load Vout = 9.55V Loaded Vout = 9.29 and reading drops by ~10mV every 2sec

Is this a normal behavior for battery of this type ?

Reply to
Vadim Bishtein

Looks like a 'surface charge' to me. Nomimal for Lithium is 3.0 volts per cell; thats 9.0 volts for your battery. Try 100 ohms/1watt resistor for a minute or so. You should still see about 9 volts after that. Does the battery have a stated mah rating?

Luhan Monat (luhanxmonat-at-yahoo^dot^com)

"Reality: what a concept!"

Reply to
Luhan

"Vadim Bishtein"

** Yes - 9 volt batteries ( all types except the rechargeables) drop about 0.5 to 1 volt rapidly in the initial minutes - then settle down and have a long period of fairly steady discharge.

See the graphs here:

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison