Batteries in Parallel ...

Here is a video on AA battery performance for all of you Amazon users:

Sid 03

I stopped buying Costco Kirkland batteries a few years ago after the whole package of AAAs appeared to be dead. I'd heard they were Duracell as well. Duracells are one of those brands that can leak.

I take my chances with them sometimes though. Just have to watch them. I'm sure a lot of them are OK.

Reply to
boB

would double the Amp/Hours available to the load.

r can cause one of them to corrode/leak etc ...?

was experienced by either(or more) batteries ?

ruined by leaking Costco alkalines and the pack sitting on my shelf with da tes of 2025 are leaking in the pack!!!

l will pay to replace your device if it is damaged by their battery.

Yeah, I found a very in depth review of batteries once that showed a pair o f small dimples on the end of the Duracell and the same on the Kirkland bat teries and none others in the review of maybe a dozen. So it's hard to ima gine they aren't made in the same factory to the same spec. It would cost more to make them different.

The trouble with a "lot" of them being ok is you don't know if you have one s from that lot or the lot that leaks.

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

True, but I sometimes need AAs and AAA's and I'm not sure what other brands to trust. Certainly not batteries from the Dollar Tree !

So, I just have to take my risks and watch what I have.

Reply to
boB

Lets go back a step. Why are you wanting to do this? What sort of voltages and currents are involved?

The obvious solution is just to use a physically bigger battery!

The only place I have seen AA batteries in parallel deliberately are in some of the solar powered garden lights in Joule thief type circuits.

Provided that the batteries are matched from the same batch you probably will only lose a tiny amount of capacity with a pair used in parallel. But if you combine a mismatched pair then expect trouble as the stronger one will try to reverse polarise the weaker cell causing leakage.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Batteries in parallel cannot reverse polarise. They have identical voltage on the terminals.

Don't you mean in series?

--
Science teaches us to trust. - sw
Reply to

====================

** No such precaution is needed.
** How?

Reverse charge can only happen in a series string.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I would double the Amp/Hours available to the load.

ther can cause one of them to corrode/leak etc ...?

ity was experienced by either(or more) batteries ?

of

es ruined by leaking Costco alkalines and the pack sitting on my shelf with dates of 2025 are leaking in the pack!!!

cell will pay to replace your device if it is damaged by their battery.

r of small dimples on the end of the Duracell and the same on the Kirkland batteries and none others in the review of maybe a dozen. So it's hard to imagine they aren't made in the same factory to the same spec. It would co st more to make them different.

ones from that lot or the lot that leaks.

See, that's my point. The Sunshine brand from Dollar Tree have been review ed with testing and found to be as good as any. They are widely used and d o not have the numerous reports of leakage that Kirkland and Duracell have. I had a Ray-o-vac battery leak and ruin a flash light. I contacted them about their warranty and I would have had to pay $10 to ship a $10 flash li ght. Instead I bought a $10 rechargeable flash light and use no more dry c ells for that.

Your dismissal of the Sunshine brand is without merit.

Just to be clear, ALL alkaline batteries are subject to leaking. The probl em is some brands are much worse than others. Costco Kirkland and Duracell are two that seem to fail much more frequently than others.

--

  Rick C.

  +- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricketty C

I bought a few of the Dollar Tree batteries myself and they were awful. Very low energy from what I remember.

Maybe that review you saw was by someone who is pushing those batteries

Reply to
boB

Point me to that review and I will have a look at their energy and discharge profile. That will tell all I wold need to know except for their leaking factor which may change from one to another.

Reply to
boB

ure I would double the Amp/Hours available to the load.

e other can cause one of them to corrode/leak etc ...?

larity was experienced by either(or more) batteries ?

rge

lot of

vices ruined by leaking Costco alkalines and the pack sitting on my shelf w ith dates of 2025 are leaking in the pack!!!

uracell will pay to replace your device if it is damaged by their battery.

pair of small dimples on the end of the Duracell and the same on the Kirkla nd batteries and none others in the review of maybe a dozen. So it's hard to imagine they aren't made in the same factory to the same spec. It would cost more to make them different.

ve ones from that lot or the lot that leaks.

iewed with testing and found to be as good as any. They are widely used an d do not have the numerous reports of leakage that Kirkland and Duracell ha ve. I had a Ray-o-vac battery leak and ruin a flash light. I contacted th em about their warranty and I would have had to pay $10 to ship a $10 flash light. Instead I bought a $10 rechargeable flash light and use no more dr y cells for that.

oblem is some brands are much worse than others. Costco Kirkland and Durac ell are two that seem to fail much more frequently than others.

Or maybe not. The review was of many, many batteries. Something like 20 d ifferent ones. Some tested well, others not so well. Do you really thing the review was a sham? Dollar Tree doesn't sell their own brand. They sel l Panasonic, Sunshine and another US brand, maybe Ray-o-vac. Which brand a re YOU talking about?

I think it's more likely you are making things up about whatever it was you bought at Dollar Tree.

--

  Rick C.

  ++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricketty C

Right. Sunshine brand. The biggest name in batteries.

Ray-O-vac... Who bought them ? Who bought Everready ? Who owns Duracell now ? Or Sunshine ? Or Yamagoochi ?

A name doesn't mean much these days. Companies get bought and sold so much you don't know much about any of them from year to year unless you know for sure what kind of price reduction tricks or improvements they have implemented. Also, their quality control. If any

You can send that link any time.

Reply to
boB

, sure I would double the Amp/Hours available to the load.

the other can cause one of them to corrode/leak etc ...?

polarity was experienced by either(or more) batteries ?

charge

a lot of

devices ruined by leaking Costco alkalines and the pack sitting on my shel f with dates of 2025 are leaking in the pack!!!

s Duracell will pay to replace your device if it is damaged by their batter y.

the

ak.

[...]

you bought at Dollar Tree.

I just want to make sure I understand. Company A buys profitable company B so they can close down their manufacturing and do it somewhere else in a d ifferent way that makes the product crap?

Whatever. You are saying brands mean nothing which is clearly not true sin ce we are seeing differences in brands and in particular we see two connect ed brands, made at the same factory, that seem to suck pretty badly.

Whatever. This topic is long since exhausted.

--

  Rick C.

  --- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricketty C

That has happened where a competitor was bought and ran into the ground but that's not what I was saying. They will cheapen the process to either increase profits and live off the name or lose the magic of the proces that was there previously.

That's what seems to happen a lot in this newsgroup

Reply to
boB