basic question about resistance and Ohm's law

You need to upgrade your common sense. Ohms law is very basic and fundamental to understanding electronics. The resistance or lack of it determines the amount of current that can flow in a circuit. The voltage dropped across a resistive component multiplied by the current flowing through it determines how much power it will dissipate.

At constant applied voltage the current is halved by adding an equal value series resistance to your bulb (actually it isn't because at a lower current the cooler bulb filament offers less resistance). An examiner marking scheme got this one wrong in an exam once and I turned up with a page of algebra and a colleague turned up with a plank with the actual circuit nailed to it! It was agreed to give marks for both the official marking scheme answer *and* the correct answer. (ISTR the syllabus had been teaching that their answer was right!)

Electric fire bar or fan heater is the most common application of deliberately turning electricity into heat - an air source heat pump would be more efficient but turning electricity into heat is done. Ultimately all high grade energy ends up being dissipated as heat as an inevitable consequence of thermodynamics.

For many applications you can get away with switching the maximum voltage on and off very quickly as a form of pulse width modulation to avoid having any significant resistive losses. Class-D amplifiers use this method to get high efficiency with less waste heat.

These days if you wanted to do that you would probably use PWM or a DC to DC converter to provide 6v from the 12v source at the right current and high efficiency. Using a power rheostat (variable resistor) to control current flowing in a motor or other load is much rarer these days than it was in the past. See for example:

Regards,
Martin Brown
Reply to
Martin Brown

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com schrieb:

Hello,

a resistor turns the electrical power into heat, that is true. But that does not mean more resistance will consume more power and produce more heat. It depends on the circuit and the source used. If you connect a resistor to a constant voltage source, more resistance will consume less power. More resistance means less current, the voltage stays the same, the product of current and voltage is power and gets smaller. But if you connect a resistor to a constant current source, more resistance will consume more power. The current stays the same, the voltage over the resistor rises and the power rises too.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Probably because common sense isn't all that common.

Perhaps a mechanical analogy might help. An electric circuit is much like a plumbing circuit. Voltage is the water pressure. Current is the water flow rate. Resistance is constriction to the flow. For this exercise, the light bulb can be any type of rotary "paddle" type of pump. I can't make water produce light, but I can extract energy my making the water drive a pump, which does some useful work such as lifting a weight.

When I connect the pump to a garden hose, and pump spins at some rate. This is your starting circuit. Like this:

Adding resistance is a bit tricky. What a resistor does is convert electron energy into thermal energy. In a hydraulic example, that would simulated by diverting some of the water (current) with a "T" pipe section. When I add a symmetrical "T" diverter pipe to the high pressure side of the pump, 1/2 of the water now flows into the pump and 1/2 flows out the diverter, and onto the ground. With half the flow rate, the pump now spins at half speed. The pressure (voltage) remains the same because nothing has changed at the water source.

More of the same on Ohm's Law analogies:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Ok, let me put my two cents in...

There are two concepts, Ohm's law about the relationship between voltage, current and resistance, and power formulas, that describe how much heat or whatever are being produced by a circuit. They are related, but not the same.

When you have a simple circuit like you described with a battery, light and resistor, you have to look at two things. First, Ohm's law will tell you what voltage and current are across each part. Then, you can take that voltage and current, and determine the power across each part.

Now, when you increase resistance, you reduce the current. Reducing the current causes the power to go lower. Remember, the formula for power is V^2/R, so increasing R lowers overall power. If you look at a heater, realize that the overall resistance of that element if often small to use a lot of power...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

It isn't removed from common sense:

Push something harder, it'll move faster.

It's easier to swim in water than in molasses.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

I think I understand now. Thank you. Too bad there is not an electronic equ ivalent to a water pipe faucet. It just reduces the flow without wasting en ergy (water) while a resistor does waste power instead of just making it ha rder for current to flow through, preserving the rest of the power in the b attery, rather than wasting it by turning it into heat. Thanks again.

Reply to
make1upper

A partly open faucet does warm the water that passes through it. Power is lost in the faucet.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

There *is* though. You switch hard on and off quickly with a variable mark space ratio to avoid resistive losses in the load controller.

It is the basis of all modern switched mode power supplies, lamp dimmers and cheap high power class-D amplifier designs.

The days of the power rheostat are long gone!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I think I understand now. Thank you. Too bad there is not an electronic equivalent to a water pipe faucet. It just reduces the flow without wasting energy (water) while a resistor does waste power instead of just making it harder for current to flow through, preserving the rest of the power in the battery, rather than wasting it by turning it into heat.

** The OP reminds me of a guy I met in a components store once.

On being informed that rechargeable NiCd cells were only 1.2 volts each, not

1.5V, he exclaimed.

" That's ridiculous - how stupid are they not to make them the same. "

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Hey, I broke the legs off my first transistor, then tried to replace it by wiring together two diodes :)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Everybody has done that. The younger you were, the more credit you get.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Speak for yourself. I started repairing tube based equipment, and knew enough about transistors by the time I built my first solid state amp to know it wouldn't work. I even made the chassis and case in metal shop in Jr high school.

The only transistors I remember breaking all the leads were in a HP

5245L Frequency counter that had been used in a salt air location. Touch 'ANY' of the TO-5 transistors, and they fell off their corroded leads.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hmm... when I posted I had it in my head that it was early teens.

But thinking about it a bit more, must have been earlier, like 9 or

  1. Precocious little brat.

It was one of those "101 circuit projects" kits with a solderless breadboard and a grand total of two 2N-somethings.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com schrieb:

Hello,

you may connect two 6 V bulbs in series to a 12 V source. Each bulb consumes 6 W, both together 12 W. 1 A flowing thru a 12 Ohm resistor on a 12 V source gives 12 W. You get twice the light as from one bulb only. But you can also use a 12 V 6 W bulb, 0.5 A is flowing and the power is

6 W, the resistance is 24 Ohms. You (hopefully) get the same light from a 6 V 6 W bulb and from a 12 V 6 W bulb.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Two bulbs of the same type. That means the same operating current and warm-up curve.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Me too, 9 or 10. I think I started actually understanding transistors when I was about 12, testosterone kicking in maybe. Up to then, I read PopTronics and fiddled with things. All good preparation for EE courses in college.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

There's one like that in every Radio Shack. They are usually behind the counter.

Reply to
tm

electronic

wasting

making it

in the

each, not

same. "

Not everyone; i never did. But before age 10 i knew better.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Nice explanation sir!