basic ECL question

Hello Spehro,

Guess it's like Jim said. You weigh the costs of membership versus what you get out of it. Sometimes I have my doubts. Look at mundane stuff such as the pin numbers on SOT23 packages. I guess the IPC would be responsible for spreading that standard. Didn't work at all. I just (almost) got a big bloody nose on a design because a manufacturer designated as pin 3 what usually is pin 1. What a chaos. Why become a member then?

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Every possible SOT-23 permutation has been used by somebody, as well as most of the possible SOT-143 (4 pin) possibilities. We always use the Motorola convention

3 1 2

regardless of what the mfr uses.

Skyworks makes some schottky diodes with the stripe on the cathode, and others with the stripe on the anode!

NEC makes some parts with the pin1 dot on the bottom!

John

Four people run a semiconductor firm? I thought you needed tons of money and know-how to run a chip company.

cheers,

Al

Reply to
Al Borowski

It's fairly common here in AZ to shutdown for vacation the two weeks straddling the 4th of July.

Did you call, or simply send an E-mail?

...Jim Thompson

Thanks for the hint Jim, They appear to be in vacation or part time working. It took them two days not to answer an inquiry. I get the impression that it becomes fashionable to run a business as parttime. Applies to me too, actually.

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

Hello John,

If you do your own layouts that will work. But if a layout is done outside then you have to hope that the CAD library uses that same convention.

What good is a standard if the respective organization can't even convince the mainstream companies to stick to it? I bet some of the companies that veered are past or current dues paying corporate members.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Probably only for replacements.

I've done so many ECL/PECL designs I have the specifications "canned" in PSpice so I can automatically paste them over a simulation to check how closely I "go down the middle".

See....

Newsgroups: alt.binaries.schematics.electronic Subject: ECL/PECL Specification Curves - 10K100KSpec.pdf Message-ID:

...Jim Thompson

ROTFL!

I actually did these curves because it's easier to visually see the specification rather than having to apply a cursor every pass. Plus you get a lot of intuitive feedback as to where the "tilt" needs to be moved.

...Jim Thompson

Hello Jim,

Is that kind of the sobriety check for chip designers? Walk between two lines is what the sheriff wants to see after he asks people to step out of the car.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Jim,

That's a good strategy. I have to get more into that mode as well. Most of the time I do my error budgeting on, ahem, vellum paper. Right now with all the heat and the fans going that is no fun.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg