Base current

I've got an hfe tester that whacks upto 1A through a tr's base for about 0.5 seconds. I'm thinking this is probably a lot too high - what would be a safe value for a wide range of trs?

NT

Reply to
NT

Not 1A for all transistors, but some power devices may want to see that much.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

"Nutcase f****it TROLL"

** Blatant lie.
Reply to
Phil Allison

lol. He who is plainly without circuit diagram tells he who has the cct diag.

NT

Reply to
NT

Maybe. I want it to not kill most trannies though.

NT

Reply to
NT

Doesn't it have a settable range? You're going to severely restrict it's usefulness if you don't let the operator choose the ranges.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Don't even _bother_ getting into it with Phil when he's off his meds. The paranoid delusions pass off eventually and he turns back into a productive citizen again. The more you challenge him with actual reality the more the spittle flies.

Just scan his posts for cussing, and ignore him when he does (other than to increase your vocabulary -- he can be pretty creative).

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

"Tim Wescott = Wanker "

** FFS - the lunatic OP has claimed the completely impossible and REUSES to give any details.

You know nothing about Hfe testers ?

You know nothing about usenet.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

See page 2.

I know how to spell it.

I wonder what sort of a social life you'd manage if there weren't USENET.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

I bet Phil is very popular at parties! ;)

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

About as popular as you are. They lock the doors to keep either of you out.

Michael A. Terrell

..then take his skirt off.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Most Tek curve tracers are more than capable of frying transistors-under-test, if the person testing doesn't know what they are doing. example:

...is capable of 2A Ib.

I fried my share of transistors in high school and college, using older model Tek. curve tracers.

Tom Pounds near Albuquerque

Reply to
tlbs101

"tlbs101"

** A Tek curve tracer is hardly the same thing as a " Hfe tester " .

The latter is generally as simple, battery operated device with a meter and a couple of ranges. Base current is usually fixed at say 100uA or 1mA and the meter reading is a reflection of a BJT's beta.

Works OK for checking and beta matching small signal transistors with Ic ratings up to 1 amp.

Power BJTs require a different approach with much higher current levels and a fixed Ic ( say 0.5 to 1 amp) - one then uses the base current as the indicator of beta.

Having a fixed Ic allows the Vbe to be compared and matched.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

=2E..he said, with a vested interest...

mike

Reply to
m II

I was about to say I'm learning this, but actually I will reply again... can't blame anyone but myself eh.

REUSES

I gave you the details already. There's nothing hard about sticking 1A through a b-e diode junction. Its unbranded. Update: I'm given it 2 ranges for now, 1A and 0.1A. I'll keep little rf devices away from it. I dont know if I'll do more with it another time, but it should do what I want now.

NT

Reply to
NT

"Nutcase f****it TROLL"

I gave you the details already. There's nothing hard about sticking 1A through a b-e diode junction. Its unbranded. Update: I'm given it 2 ranges for now, 1A and 0.1A. I'll keep little rf devices away from it. I dont know if I'll do more with it another time, but it should do what I want now.

** Nice transistor destroyer.

Not in a thousand years is it a Hfe tester.

You stupid, lying turd.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

if the person testing doesn't know what they are doing.

That's SUCH a loaded statement. A tester is capable of frying transistors if the person testing DOES know what he is doing. That's a big part of the point of having a tester.

Take a 1N4003 rectifier to a good tester, pulse it with 10A (it's rated for 1A). Test it. Then give it 10A continuously. Turn the power down while the smoke clears, then test it again. That's a REAL learning experience (better have a well-ventilated room for this).

Reply to
whit3rd

"whitless prick"

** It is nothing of the kind - you illiterate retard.
** Meaningless crap.

Testing a component does not include destroying it, in the minds of the vast majority.

The vast majority of component testers are NOT capable of destroying the parts they are intended to test.

Fuckhead.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Phil,

DO you really need to be publicly humiliated before you learn not to call people names? And what good does it do you anyway?

Reply to
David Eather