Barrel connectors

Isn't it this one? . I don't think it's a good picture of it, but the measurements seem correct.

Of course I'd just pay the same amount for a Dell power adapter at a surplus store or at the EFM, and cut the power supply part off and splice the cable onto whatever you need. At least you'd have a nice molded connector.

Reply to
sms

Sex is determined by the center conductor, so that would be a female.

It would be interesting to find the jerk that decided we need a few variations of this connect by a silly millimeter.

Reply to
miso

Possibly the extra pin is a Kelvin voltage sense.

Dell does a lot of 6 cell and 9 cell packs. They could do some communications and change the charging voltage.

Reply to
miso

Given what a pain it is to solder coaxial connectors, I will gladly pay an extra $2 to Sparkfun or Allexctronics versus a basic plug. What I do now is buy up surplus cords with the connector attached. Very common at surplus shops from time to time, i.e. manufacturing overruns.

Reply to
miso

Dell business grade laptops are designed to be repairable. I can't speak for their consumer stuff.

You don't need "ifixit" for Dell. They have good online documentation.

Apple is the one making disposable notebooks. Everything is soldered and glued. Perhaps that makes a more rugged notebook, well except macbook lids and hinges are shit. The bottom is quite rugged. But basically with even the battery being captive, they are throw aways.

Reply to
miso

Yeah, the one that falls off. It is just a different trade off of problems.

Reply to
miso

Hmmm... I thought it was others too - I'm sure I remember it from the "late" great Robert when he went off on one.

But you have a point.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Just another case of Apple trying to be "sexxy" without concern for consequences

Reply to
Don Y

Yeah, I know. I was joking about the comparison with a rifle barrel, myself preferring the whisky barrel.

Marketing! FYI, the difference between the 0.5mm diameter refills to fit Cross mechanical pencils and commodity refills is that Cross refills are one millimeter shorter. Wonder how that happened.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Are you sure that they have a patent on that? Those were used on kitchen hot water boilers and other Asian kitchen appliances long before Apple used them on laptops. . I expect that the patent on these has expired.

I suppose that the patent could be very narrow and specify that it's a DC power connection for computers, and since the original patent has expired they would not have to pay royalties. But would the USPTO grant a patent to Apple on something that has such obvious prior art?

Someone was obviously astute enough to understand the problem with damaging laptops by tripping over the power cord and realized that the magnetic power connector could work for devices other than kitchen appliances. One of Apple's strengths seems to be looking at products outside their own industry and adopting good design features.

Reply to
sms

I recently rescued a handheld (oversized, though) ruggedized computer. Name escapes me at the moment. I recall seeing a demo of it operating

*in* water!

It's not a "precious" machine -- 2.6G P4. But, it has lots of interfaces that come in handy when I'm dealing with some other piece of kit. Video out, TV out, PCMCIA, USB, PS2, 3" floppy (makes it easier to move files to/from the Unisite), modem, 100BaseTX, wifi, parallel port, DVD/CD writer, 1400x1050 display, etc.

But, it's heavier than hell! When I include all the cables to be able to connect to things I may encounter -- plus some small peripherals (a tiny mouse in preference to the touchpad, small scanner, etc.) it usually weighs more than my "overnight bag"!

But, if I use another laptop, I end up having to lug an external floppy, parallel port adapter (and hope the software talks well with it), etc.

Of course! But, I'm not fixated on penny profits. If I have to repair (warranty) a device because I saved a penny, how much have I lost? Even out-of-warranty repairs impose costs -- you need staff to *fix* those products. Better to avoid the obvious failures in the first place and use your resources to create new/better products. With folks *knowing* they can "invest in quality".

It may be worth purchasing some for these "three pin" connectors. The "2 pin" power connectors on most of my laptops and tablets are right angle.

On a related note: any strain relief options for RJ45's (besides the boots)? Network cables on laptops and tablets get all mangled to hell as you move the device around during use.

I think you can alter the way you build things if this is a charging goal. Retrofitting it to existing products is, at best, a kludge.

Buy them an abacus -- and hope the CHINESE BEADS don't have lead paint on them! :>

Reply to
Don Y

"David Eather"

** Fuck off you stinking criminal net stalker !!
Reply to
Phil Allison

"miso"

** FOAD you STINKING NUT CASE TROLL

Never post here again.

Or this NG will be sabotaged.

Reply to
Phil Allison

"David Eather"

** Amazing.

The ONLY sensible thing this net stalking, f****it troll has ever posted.

[...]

Apple has fallen victim of the Siren's Song. They want everything to be sexxy -- which they equate with slim and small.

Quality is not an issue for them. They'll provide the best they can SUBJECT TO THE ABOVE!

I suspect its only a matter of time before we find their products totally filled with styrene or some other flowable substance that will give them mechanical strength after assembly/test.

There's a different mindset in laptop users vs desktop (and apple vs. all the above). Laptop buyers *want* smaller (except keyboard) and lighter -- portable. Stuff it in a desk drawer. They NEVER expect to upgrade or repair it. Often don't even replace the battery when it fails! It has a limited life from the day it was purchased. Replacing software is about as "versatile" as it can get!

Desktop users tend to think about upgrading memory, optical drive, disk drive, etc. It's more a "piece of furniture" -- more inertia, less likely to get lugged out to the tip. They've already begrudgingly found a place for the monstrosity so its size is no longer as apparent. It's got its own "place" in the house -- you go to *it* instead of bringing *it* to you!

Reply to
Don Y

I currently use a drill index to measure the ID's of "2 conductor" chargers -- micrometer for the OD (easier for me than caliper).

As the center conductor on 3 pin is slightly recessed, this approach still works -- though the supply has to be off lest you short to the center pin.

Seems like a set of (dimensioned) plastic "tubes" would be ideal. And, a bigger set into which the plug's OD can be fitted.

Maybe I'll ask a buddy to turn some for me!

Reply to
Don Y