bad news, good news

Just skimmed that, but it looks like he's finding out about the way VAT works etc. Compliance costs with HK Inland Revenue are high- they required audited returns every time, but the taxes are relatively simple.

Not surprised at all that there was no perceptible corruption in their China government interactions..

Two passports, eh? Have to look into that.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

We were working about 50 hours a week.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Like those 3,000 page datasheets (including all the different documents required) a lot of things are pretty modular. If you're not running a farm with extractive industries in the corner of the back 40 and employing a lot of people, including students and interns, and involved in international transfer pricing and licensing.. a lot of it can safely be ignored.

I pay an accountant to make sure corporate returns are in the correct format and contain no self-consistency errors with themselves or other returns, but not to look for tax efficiency, advise on when/how to deal with capital cost allowances, or R&D incentives, or other kinds of opportunities- that's kind of *my* job.

If you doubt the validity of the latter statement, try asking an accountant for *business* advice. In my experience, they're way too risk-averse and also blind to synergies. There's a reason they're accountants and not entrepreneurs. Maybe ask a sales ('business development') person and average the two?

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany