Auto immobilizer

Where do they connect auto immobilizer? Ignition wire is simply, but too s imple and obviously easy to by-pass. For my old Ford, i disable it with th e crankshaft sensor, since it would not start without it.

I am using Intel Edison or Raspberry Pi to control an relay. Both can do t he job. Edison is better because of the small size and embedded flash; How ever, it is also worse because of the embedded flash. I had to reload the OS many times when it just disappear, due to the way they reload the OS on- board. Fortunately, this would not be a problem with it power up all the time anyway. RPI uses a separate uSD, loaded from PC.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Den mandag den 22. august 2016 kl. 20.44.09 UTC+2 skrev snipped-for-privacy@gmail.co m:

simple and obviously easy to by-pass. For my old Ford, i disable it with the crankshaft sensor, since it would not start without it.

the job. Edison is better because of the small size and embedded flash; H owever, it is also worse because of the embedded flash. I had to reload th e OS many times when it just disappear, due to the way they reload the OS o n-board. Fortunately, this would not be a problem with it power up all t he time anyway. RPI uses a separate uSD, loaded from PC.

why on earth would you use something like an edison or RPI to control a rel ay?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

com:

oo simple and obviously easy to by-pass. For my old Ford, i disable it wit h the crankshaft sensor, since it would not start without it.

do the job. Edison is better because of the small size and embedded flash; However, it is also worse because of the embedded flash. I had to reload the OS many times when it just disappear, due to the way they reload the OS on-board. Fortunately, this would not be a problem with it power up all the time anyway. RPI uses a separate uSD, loaded from PC.

elay?

With a USB mobile modem, Internet connected. There are other things as wel l.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Some people can only "design" using a uC/uP ;-) ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

.com:

too simple and obviously easy to by-pass. For my old Ford, i disable it wi th the crankshaft sensor, since it would not start without it.

do the job. Edison is better because of the small size and embedded flash ; However, it is also worse because of the embedded flash. I had to reload the OS many times when it just disappear, due to the way they reload the O S on-board. Fortunately, this would not be a problem with it power up al l the time anyway. RPI uses a separate uSD, loaded from PC.

relay?

And some can't.

We use uC when the application needs it. Can you design a web server with discret electronics?

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

I guess it depends on what the "user interface" would happen to be. Kinda hard to design a "voice-print controlled relay" with anything less! :>

(why use a relay if you could use a TOGGLE SWITCH?]

Reply to
Don Y

a few miles away

Sure, if i can teleport my finger there.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

That was my point: if you could use a switch, then you wouldn't need a relay; if you could use to control that relay, then you wouldn't need an rPi.

Reply to
Don Y

Den mandag den 22. august 2016 kl. 21.24.53 UTC+2 skrev Jim Thompson:

.com:

too simple and obviously easy to by-pass. For my old Ford, i disable it wi th the crankshaft sensor, since it would not start without it.

do the job. Edison is better because of the small size and embedded flash ; However, it is also worse because of the embedded flash. I had to reload the OS many times when it just disappear, due to the way they reload the O S on-board. Fortunately, this would not be a problem with it power up al l the time anyway. RPI uses a separate uSD, loaded from PC.

relay?

unless it is a totally trivial amount of logic an MCU is the answer, but there is some way from that to a full blown computer running linux (Edison/RPI)

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

il.com:

t too simple and obviously easy to by-pass. For my old Ford, i disable it with the crankshaft sensor, since it would not start without it.

an do the job. Edison is better because of the small size and embedded fla sh; However, it is also worse because of the embedded flash. I had to relo ad the OS many times when it just disappear, due to the way they reload the OS on-board. Fortunately, this would not be a problem with it power up all the time anyway. RPI uses a separate uSD, loaded from PC.

a relay?

But we do need one with USB host and mobile internet connection. Why bothe r with simple uC when we can just buy the Edison/EPI for $50 to $60. We mi ght even use the WiFi as hostap or bluetooth. When you spec all these toge ther, ARM/AVR/PIC would cost the same if not more.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Yeah, but they need ridiculously big and growing bigger uC/uP 's

Reply to
David Eather

But all we care about is price & power consumption.

For $50, we get quad cores (RPI), 1G RAM, Wifi and bluetooth. That's really pretty cheap.

Power is around 5W, mostly for the radios (including external USB cellular modem).

Reply to
edward.ming.lee