Are 5v-tolerant inputs clamped?

F. Bertolazzi:

No, I did not write it. ;-)

Atmel's AVR MCUs are fairly well ESD protected (never had such a failure), put their clamp diodes cannot take more than 0,5 mA.

No, it cannot. But it's not a problem: with an 8 bit expander you can use two lines for clock and LD/SH and four lines for reading in parallel the data from the four HC165s (including shorted drivers and open load detectors).

Reply to
F. Bertolazzi

Or Ellie-May is still better that Jethro or Granny. ;-)

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!