Approach to Finding the Root Cause of Failures

IME this is usually EMI. ;) (Courtesy of Palindromic Engineering.)

Taking a perfectly good piece of equipment and having folks connect it up with BNC cables between two different racks, with nice large ground loops and a VF drive in the HVAC overhead is one typical way to do this.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yup. Cold spray and a heat gun can reveal all sorts of buried treasure.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Works great for simply-connected systems.

Another point is to pay special attention to where the signal changes domains, e.g. fibre to free space, optical to electronic, analogue to digital, time domain to frequency domain.

Everybody's first digital lock-in design fails, because they aren't sufficiently paranoid about the A/D subsystem.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I have cut through days of someone chasing a timing error, by spritzing around for a few seconds with an ancient can of Radio Shack ozone-destroying freeze spray.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Both traces are from UV photodiodes. They expect me to time-stamp them to picosecond resolution.

I never knew that there was negative light.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Are you trying to tell us that all of your hands on experience had/has no value or merit in your current grasp of the realm?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

ot

I think that's not ham fisted, that's the whole damn pig!

--

  Rick C.

  --+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Just write the spec properly, no worries. ;)

Well, in the Silmarillion there's the Unlight of Ungoliant. Must be something like that going on.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

** JL simply has nothing to say, but nevertheless insists on saying it over and over.

Wot a pathetic piece of shit he is.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Phil Hobbs wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@electrooptical.net:

I had a 'next step' 286 PC way back then. It ad a really cool BIOS and an LCD display on the front of the case that showed the BIOS POST progress at each step. Once it was booted up, it showed hard drive cylinder and sector access numbers. Like that could tell one something then. Oh My, the 32MB drive just failed and I noticed the track it was on when it happened. Yeah, sure... that would have been useful to know. For those drive recovery guys. Even then what it reads at the moment of a crash may not coincide with where the platter failure was anyway. So I saw no use for that part, though it was cool to see where it was hitting the drive at.

They have LED touch panels on printers. I figured that motherboard makers would have status/setup panels by now.

Hey, there is the new standard. Was "ATX". Now it could be "MATX" for "Monitored ATX", so the case makers could make provisions for the panels.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

But, replacing corroded connections and worn-out motors in threes after startup might involve less down-time than getting the fab line shut down three times at unscheduled times.

Reply to
whit3rd

whit3rd wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

The whole fab damily?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Might well be. They kept doing it, anyway.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

lure that is rare, intermittent or obscure?

e failure than I was when I was doing more design work. In many ways I thi nk it is more challenging than design work. It takes a mindset that is di fferent than design.

ot for not being fooled by the results of your test

gn a weighting factor of 1 to anything until you know you have the problem solved

draw an opposite conclusion when you repeat a test than what you concluded after the first test.

e one had they care and are smart, on the other hand if you go about chasin g other peoples ideas (often conceived of to just demonstrate they are conc erned in a meeting) you will never get an a clear path to troubleshoot the problem in your own way.

problematic.

the design phase, I no longer look at that as a curse, but as a blessing. It is going to come back and get you later.

is bad. As a designer you can show a days work for a days pay. In root c ause you feel like you have accomplished nothing for a long time. Frequent ly, though , these problems are the most visible problems in an organizatio n and can make a difference between losing a customer and keeping one.

help you find contradictions in your thinking.

m when it is laid out under their nose. It is never their fault :-)

by

I had missed. (Who expects 0 dB?) On the customer's work bench they were getting noise in the audio that turned out to be from the DSP power consump tion. They were using clip leads to provide power to the UUT and the on bo ard capacitance wasn't enough to mitigate it. We told them to use better p ower connections and also used a larger cap.

a piece of work they are. The other CP Clare part had a problem that virtu ally made it unusable, but they didn't point it out in the data sheet. I w onder if they actually use engineers or if they just let high school kids d esign their ICs?

Sure, but I need to understand all the one transistor circuits first.

Just thinking out loud here, but in principle you've got three configuratio ns (what terminal is common) and then can think about voltage or current as th e input or output parameter.. I get 12 possibilities. But maybe I'm over thinking it.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

And we just shut the whole world down.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

It does seem to be the least damaging response. In fact the US doesn't seem to have shut their bit of it down tight enough yet, but presumably they will get there eventually.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
Bill Sloman

The planet is overrated anyway.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You mean compared to the world you live in? Where would that be again? Oh yeah, NY, coronavirus capital of the US and maybe the world. I get why yo u say that now.

I'm not seeing a problem getting the world economy started again. Just the backlog in toilet paper will fund things for some time. It's not like peo ple are suddenly going to say, "I don't need to keep this stuff anymore." lol Nope, this sort of adventure makes permanent impacts on people. Just look at that guy here who wants to buy a freezer. He'll still be buying i t after supply catches back up with demand. He'll probably buy his own ven tilator as well.

--

  Rick C.

  -+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricky C

I think it's a shockingly nice planet. Suspiciously nice.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

ay

We've probably evolved to appreciate it's virtues.

If we'd been intelligently designed we might have been faster to notice whe re we were screwing it up.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to