AoE x-Chapters - 1x.1 Wire-&-Connectors

On a sunny day (Wed, 7 Aug 2019 09:42:44 -0400) it happened Phil Hobbs wrote in :

Thank you :-)

Just run 'updatedb' every now and then, can even be done from crontab.

You could script it so it also scans other PCs on the LAN.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It's impressive how often that the tool that you need is within reach, if you're not too fussy.

lunatic fringe electronics

It was impossible to do engineering in the same building with this one

until we hacked it in and out, which took a few iterations.

lunatic fringe electronics

onsdag den 7. august 2019 kl. 10.37.43 UTC+2 skrev snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com:

the ones I have used are terrible and require calibration, the difference between recievers are spec'ed to be something like +/- 10%

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Let me guess, it is a VFD for an air conditioning fan which spews interference all over the HF bad, especially if installed against instructions. No point of having an HF antenna on the same roof.

Reply to
upsidedown

Big clunky strippers and crimp tools are great for making cables. I'm usually building protos, so I really need something small so I can solder one end of the wire, gauge the length, cut, strip, and solder the other end without changing tools, which slows me down. Hence the Xcelite Model 170D flush cutters.

It's super easy with irradiated PVC, harder with Kynar, and impossible with Teflon.

Cheers

Phil

(All of whose wrenches can also be hammers.) ;)

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It's a cold weld joint. No fretting possible, and you are right, it is a plated hole

Reply to
klaus.kragelund

For cheap connections, and available robotics to handle the process, yes

Something that needs to be able to be disassembled, of course no :-)

Reply to
klaus.kragelund

There is no insulation in any of those connection methods.

Reply to
klaus.kragelund

It controlled an exhaust fan on the roof, for the reflow oven room a floor down. We could see 20 volt spikes on oscilloscopes in our lab, which happened to be right below the monster.

It was installed by licensed union electricians and all the wiring was in conduit.

IIRC some years ago there was a big fad about how you mustn't mate tin and gold connectors. How did that come out, anyway?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

)

he

.

om

Funny clip about that:

Wind forward to 2:26 ?

Reply to
klaus.kragelund

AFAIR above 10um is wasted

Reply to
klaus.kragelund

The kids look weird.

Coming from SF, that must mean >2 heads or something. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Huh, right. I use to do that solder one end, cut to length and strip, and solder*. Then I borrowed the good wire strippers from production. They are to clunky to fit in tight... but for longer less important power/ control leads, I lay down, cut to length. Then pull away and strip the ends off. If you had to do that when working with teflon, it wouldn't take that much longer.

I'm sending strippers for your B-day... well because even if you don't use them. You still did get strippers and you're only 60 for once, and it's only ~$20.

My four main layout tools.. not counting soldering iron, Thin wire cutters... thin is nice for snipping out mistakes. Tweezers and needle nose pliers for bending leads, wires, and holding stuff in place for the soldering iron. And the above wire strippers. Unless I clean up, those tools are always on my bench.

George H.

*or just melt away some of the plastic with the non-solder part of the iron. Ahh, the smell of plastic in the morning. :^)
Reply to
George Herold

Well, thanks very much. I'll definitely try the wire strippers out.

[Anybody who wants to send the other sort, thanks but I'd rather stay married.] ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Coax inner conductor is "usually stranded"? Well, maybe for some but not for video types.

Fig 1x16 db values should be negative.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

There's a lot of RG58, RG174 and so on out there.

There's also a lot of heliax... depends who you ask...

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

See, this actually makes sense as an example of an offensive noise source. You could've just opened with that.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams