AoE III is on Amazon

I'm sure Win couldn't care less what Jan Panteltje thinks about the dust cover. ...Jim Thompson

^ lol

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

I understand the UK version has the correct resistor and capacitor symbols, and uses proper component value notation, eg 4n7, 3k3 etc.

Those US zig-zag resistors and curved -ve plate electrolytics are much more expensive to print.

Who knows, it might even be in colour.

God save the King!

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Still a Queen, last time I checked.

"She's a good Sheila, Bruce, and not atall...stuckup."

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You checked? Treason! Orf with his head!

Royally,

--
Syd
Reply to

Ate you referring to a certain electro-optics tome that resembles a Star Wars comic book?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I used to work with Joan Mitchell. Very sharp and a great teacher.

Even the early ones are rather visible.

Reply to
krw

I'd like to see the market data analysis that hit that price point, they're planning on selling a LOT of copies over the printing lifecycle. But will this one hit 30+ years?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

You should have seen their first proposal. It looked exactly like spilled blackberry yogurt.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Please M'Lud, I meant no liberty, but was relying entirely on the testimony of Messrs. Cleese, Palin, Chapman, Jones, Gilliam & Co., as well as Her Brittannic Majesty's plumage.

Obsequiously,

Phil "loyal subject and E2R fanboy" Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Well, as the stock touts say, "Past performance does not guarantee future results", but the last edition still sells after 26 years.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

...I have no truck with Idle fellows, m'lud.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Perverse. Eric Idle can be very entertaining.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It is sacrilege to throw away the dust cover off a book and especially of a first edition no matter how hideous it might look. Anyway the new dustcover looks to me like it is a gold edition (either +/-5% resistor) or expected sales of LPs. We will be able to tell in twenty years when the next one comes out in either a red or platinum matching cover...

Removing the original dustcover devalues the book enormously in the second-hand trade - which is good if you actually want to read its contents but very bad for collectors and dealers.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

For my point of view AOE doesn't qualify for seconad hand trade, won't let it go

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

On a sunny day (Thu, 29 Jan 2015 08:48:09 +0000) it happened Martin Brown wrote in :

IIRC I did see a page or 2 of the old one on google books, it seemed to me that by keeping pressing 'next' with the mouse I could see the other pages too. It struck me as 'interesting' (back to school) but not worth the extra mouse clicks and save.

This is not to say if you have no formal eduction in electronics (that I have and Jimmy not) you should not study it. But the added value in a design group is beyond me. ;-) u shoot no tat stuff.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

reux

Sacrilege? I'm in deep doo doo then. The only books I have with "in tact" dust jackets are those that aren't very good. Most don't survive a single reading on my part. (Well if I borrow a book from someone I'll make one o f those brown paper bag dust covers so that I don't trash it too much.)

I'm hard on books, I tend to scribble comments in the margins too.

George H. Anyway the new

Reply to
George Herold

's a joke, son. Jes' a joke.

I guess they don't have those downunder.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

AoE will sell enough copies that it won't be a collector's item. And people value tech books for their content, not their appearance.

There are few bookstores that have "classic" technical books, like RadLab and Terman and such. Powell's has a technical annex in Portland, Oregon that sometimes has good oldies. The rest are on ebay.

I managed to collect the full 26-vol set of RadLab books. It took me several years. Few had dust jackets!

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On a sunny day (Thu, 29 Jan 2015 09:23:35 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

I am not so sure, him having worked on this version 20 years, it must on average be 10 years behind..? ;-)

No way, looks sell, look at this:

I fell for the cover, it is 100% technical and 100% uptodate. You just want to open the book end see what's under the grey blue text :-) Dust cover??? WHAT dust cover? Already read it. Grey cells, memory you know.. I do not collect stamps either.

;-)

I did not know there were so many things that could be wrong with a polyester sailboat. Had a little discussion this summer with a a guy who works on those ships, has his own huge sort of repair place, boats out of the water, osmosis.... I said I prefer steel boats, he showed me around the polyester ones he was working on, I told him I know how to do welding, but have no clue about 'plastic' boats... Now that started a storm. Time to read up... Steel....

?
Reply to
Jan Panteltje