Anyone Seen This XP Quirk?

Really? That's exactly how one of my card readers works under Vista-- and exactly the same under Win2K Pro and XP Pro.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany
[snip]

Same here.

...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens | | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: "skypeanalog" | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

Something like: XP Service Pack 2, built 2007, February 27 at 22:54

Looks like you haven't been bitten by a recent update. This was a dormant bug that just woke up.

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

I don't know if it's related, but...

I have some of those USB thumb drives (and stuff like cameras, iPod, etc..) Basically, removable - detachable hardware.

Sometimes, if I eject the hardware (via the little green software arrow in the tray), the PC / laptop will take a really long time to respond. But if I then go Start - Right Click - Explore, it will always spring into action, and finish the eject task immed.

It's as if Explorer is waiting for something, before it wants to deliver the message that it is OK to remove the hardware. It's not that annoying when it happens, (and usually, I'm going to power down anyway), so I've not bothered to investigate it. It does happen on 2 separate machines pretty regularly however... But not at all on another XP. -mpm

Reply to
mpm

That is NOT how the word was used.

The word was used to describe a registry setting that was incorrectly set, and it was given the moniker "flaky".

Since most of the "switches" provided for in the registry are typically binary, or ON (enabled) or OFF (disabled).

So YOU tell me how such a switch, which has very specific setting, can be "flaky"?

Now, go back and read the post. Then your question doesn't matter, and you'll have to come up with another, or one that is better phrased.

Reply to
MassiveProng

A card reader that has its own MPU will. I have one with 7 ports, and a hard drive in it. It assigns 7 Drive letter assignments when plugged in.

The dumb reader interfaces won't unless a storage device, etc. is in them.

Age of the device is also a factor.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

and

Wrong.

That is how the word was used, and I should know since I'm the one who used it.

Perhaps I should have used the word: "anthropomorphism"

=2E..which of course should have been crystal clear by the context, except that you wanted to impress all of us with your in-depth knowledge of binary values....

Reply to
mpm

ote:

le).

nd

I had a USB drive that once somehow got named with a name that was exactly the same name as it's path on the network. Needless to say, when I plugged it into a stand-alone, non-networked PC.. that got pretty confusing..!

Reply to
mpm

and

By the way, you used the word "moniker" incorrectly. A moniker is a name, or a nickname. (a noun).

Flaky is an adjective.

Now, go get a life. Or a dictionary, please.

Reply to
mpm

They may be binary systems in concept, but modern high-speed digital electronics is very analog in nature. Many computer issues stem from hardware analog issues.

I would also vote for the term "flaky" for a windoze OS and M$ crapware. An office mate started having lots of error messages when launching Outlook (LookOut!) recently. An automatic update nailed him. Problem fixed when I loaded up .NET 2.0 (he only had .NET 1.1). Funny how .NET versions are incompatible. Now I need three different versions of .NET. Reminds me of the old MFC42 days. Anyone who programs under .NET should be keel-hauled.

Reply to
qrk

I do not need a primer from a retarded f*ck like you. I have been working in analog and digital electronics since the mid-seventies.

Now f*ck off and die, you AOL retard!

Reply to
MassiveProng

Your contention that a discussion that was about software switches boiling down to hardware bit errors is truly hilarious.

You need to go back to school, and re-learn everything.

Your bent perception is in your way, however.

Reply to
MassiveProng

It's a real shame then that you're not any good at it. What was that, like 55-nines reliability?

Reply to
mpm

And now you have shown us yet another shortcoming in your understanding of modern electronics: Integrated circuit GEMOETRY dictates voltage and speed, not your imaginary notion that it takes longer for circuits to jump to a higher voltage (5V vs. 2V, for instance).

And speaking of Dopes, you'd be the last one I'd want touching anything of mine, electronic or otherwise. You're so limited in what you know, you probably get very frustrated trying to fix stuff. So frustrated that you end up smashing it. Then pat yourself on the back claiming it was a poor design anyway.

Idiot.

Reply to
mpm

What is a "software switch" if not related to hardware? Show me ONE software switch that is not reliant on hardware, and I will take it all back.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Show me one that experiences hardware based errant logic reads in modern chip epitaxy and circuit designs as a common occurrence, you retarded little shit. You cannot.

Since such "switches" are situated tertiary to an OS or a piece of software, there are literally hundreds of thousands of instructions moving around to track and obey one single "software" switch setting.

Reply to
MassiveProng
[snip non-existent being]
[snip]

Error. Operating voltage and device capacitances (as well as geometry) have a significant effect on speed, thus 1.8V CMOS is "generally" almost 4X as fast as 3.3V CMOS.

...Jim Thompson

| Phoenix, Arizona  85048    Skype: "skypeanalog"  |             |

=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD= =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD ...Jim Thompson

=EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF= =BF=BD | =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BDmens =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD |

=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD | = =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD et =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD|

=BF=BDmanus =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD|

=EF=BF=BD| =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD |

s Rat =EF=BF=BD|

=EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD |

, Because of the Brave

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have singled out geometry, but it was late at night. Doesn't really matter though, this guy is such a dipshit it would be nearly impossible to have an intelligent discussion with him on the merits. I was just jerking his chain anyway, because he kept on an on about my use of the word "flaky". -mpm

Reply to
mpm

I don't see any of his posts ;-)

...Jim Thompson

| Phoenix, Arizona  85048    Skype: "skypeanalog"  |             |

Experienced?

--
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
Reply to