Any comments on Minneapolis Bridge collapse?

Perhaps it's a WestPoint mentality thing...

I'm up to $256,678,104 already and it looks more like a damn than a bridge but the thing is still telling me I haven't got enough triangles.

1) Fixation on old methodologies.

Extremely annoying.... It won't let me fill up the bit at the bottom where the river is and there is no culvert tool.

2) Unable to adapt to new ideas.

The accounting system seems as bit flakey as well. When I take bits off it doesn't take off the right amount of money.

3) Least said......

DNA

Reply to
Genome

innews: snipped-for-privacy@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Yeah- I think this is a peak oil phenomenon- not enough funds to do the necessary repairs, and there are many more such events to follow. Just last week there was a break in the central water main in our local treatment plant that left our entire community without fresh water for 24 hours.

One other thing- that bridge was cursed. It had multiple problems with black ice leading to many vehicular accidents, and most importantly it had very bad karma because underneath it on the south side was a toxic waste dump- the side from which the collapse began.

Tons of the dirt from that site had been burned in an incinerator. Imagine the ecological impact of that act. One must take in account energy phenomena when analyzing the causes of the collapse.

Reply to
chickade.junk

The train wasn't in motion (from what I've heard).

Geraldo Rivera's show on Fox right now, has retrieved inspection reports as far back as 13 years, showing frozen roller joints, and subsequent vertical misalignments of critical supports... that haven't been repaired in the interim.

Looks like a major malfeasance of Minnesota State Government... and Geraldo is going to draw blood ;-)

...Jim Thompson

My first impression on seeing the bridge prior to collapse was that it looked like a whole heap of heavy concrete supported by the Meccano set I had back in the 1940's - and to me, poor engineering.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

I wonder what the status of the dams are?

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

The governor vetoed the funds for the repair work some years back. It was one of those things were if the state came up with some money a match would come from the federal highway fund.

Reply to
MooseFET

Don't move down hill from any. The entire infrastructure of the US is in disrepair. A lot of US's current economic strength is build on things that were construct before 1980.

Reply to
MooseFET

Richard Henry snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

At least one worthwhile issue has been uncovered. The actual traffic has been far in excess of design traffic for many years, if not decades.

Reply to
JosephKK

The wikipedia article on the bridge has been updated. Included is this picture which plainly shows the geared expansion joint support on the south side.

Richard Henry