Anti-Polar Vortex?

WTF??? I don't recall seeing heat like this... EVER!

Just when I thought 20 days of 90 degree heat was bad it rises to 98!!! (t

Somnabeech, that's hot!

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

Try it without air conditioning.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

What makes you think I'm using air conditioning? Are you?

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

The sun came out and it has warmed up here today; it's 61F now. I think I'll throw on a sweat shirt and go to Safeway.

The parking lot of the Diamond Heights Safeway is officially the coldest place on Earth.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

It's mid-summer but the rains have generally kept it down to the mid- and high twenties Celcius here during the day. It's past

misplaced my best thermometer so I can't be sure if that's accurate.

Reply to
Pimpom

Move to Texas where it is a balmy 96F and about 50%Rh. Of course we had a bit of warm weather a few days ago with 102F. But the humidity was down to 35%. Or maybe move to Las Vegas where it is 104F and 11%.

What is the humidity there?

Reply to
John S

It was 100% a little while ago. 56% at the moment. Mid-atlantic is not kn own for moderate summers. Some embassy workers in DC get extra pay for the tropical climate I'm told.

Tomorrow is supposed to get bad.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

Yeah I find the humidity/ dew point is much more important for my comfort. Clear nights have let me see the comet. (NW after sunset... about three 'hands' below the big dipper.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I forgot about the comet. I need to try to see it. Naked eye works?

Reply to
John S

Depends on where you are, and your eyesight.

Last night at sea level there was bit of haze and lights from the other side of the estuary. It was just a naked eye object, if you knew where to look. It was much better in 7x50 binoculars.

I also suspect my eyes aren't as good as they were in the dark when I was younger.

Last week I actually captured it, just, with my Canon PowerShot camera, in the same frame as my first sighting of noctilucent clouds.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

What used to be weather is now Climate Change, Polar Vortex, Anti-Vortex, Ozone Holes, Atmospheric Rivers, all sorts of scary stuff.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

rt.

Yeah naked eye here. ~ as bright as one of the big dipper stars, but closer to the horizon so a bit lost in the haze. (Buffalo is NW from me.) Down in Texas it should be higher from the horizon.

George H.

As Tom says, some binocs help.

Reply to
George Herold

Is the Pacific warming?

My batshit crazy theory is that climate change is improving the climate her e in southern Idaho. We have been having milder weather (not as cold in th e winter, not as hot in the summer) which is nice because it gets so extrem e here. It is also much more wet than usual, which is a very good thing (t hey had been constantly complaining about drought for decades).

We just had our wettest June ever on record. I have literally never seen t he hills so alive with vegetation and wildlife here this late into the seas on. We are normally dried out and fighting wildfires by now.

We are putting water back into the aquifer for the first time.

This has been going on for the last few years. It can keep up as far as I am concerned. The farmers are very happy.

Reply to
DemonicTubes

! (that's 37? for you in the non-USA parts of the world)

It's still weather - just marginally warmer than it used to be.

Newspaper reporters are picking up on some of the new scientific insights t hat climate scientists are coming up with. If John Larkin read proper scien ce reporting - New Scientist comes to mind - he might have a better idea of what it all meant. John seems to get most of his insights from climate cha nge denial propaganda - the Murdoch press prints a lot of it. It is free, a nd quite a lot of it seems to be paid for by people who are still buying ad vertising space in Murdoch media.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Most of it.

ere in southern Idaho. We have been having milder weather (not as cold in the winter, not as hot in the summer) which is nice because it gets so extr eme here. It is also much more wet than usual, which is a very good thing (they had been constantly complaining about drought for decades).

A warmer Pacific evaporates more water, which has to fall as rain somewhere .

If some of it is falling in Idaho you will be happier, while it keeps falli ng.

Climate change is what's going on - anthropogenic global warming means that the earth's surface - as a whole has a higher average temperature, but wea ther patterns may not be the same on a warmer world, and they are going to keep on changing.

The Sahara was wetter from about 14,500 BP to about 5500 BP. This seems to have been caused a stronger West African Monsoon, but modelling that kind o f eefect is difficult.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

here in southern Idaho. We have been having milder weather (not as cold i n the winter, not as hot in the summer) which is nice because it gets so ex treme here. It is also much more wet than usual, which is a very good thin g (they had been constantly complaining about drought for decades).

re.

ling.

at the earth's surface - as a whole has a higher average temperature, but w eather patterns may not be the same on a warmer world, and they are going t o keep on changing.

o have been caused a stronger West African Monsoon, but modelling that kind of eefect is difficult.

Hey SL0W MAN,

Tell me, WHY don't you hear about the volcanos under the antarctic?

Reply to
Flyguy

Because a continent usually DOES have some vulcanism, and Antarctica is no exception.

It always had volcanos. They aren't especially active nor important.

Reply to
whit3rd

te here in southern Idaho. We have been having milder weather (not as cold in the winter, not as hot in the summer) which is nice because it gets so e xtreme here. It is also much more wet than usual, which is a very good thin g (they had been constantly complaining about drought for decades).

here.

alling.

that the earth's surface - as a whole has a higher average temperature, but weather patterns may not be the same on a warmer world, and they are going to keep on changing.

to have been caused a stronger West African Monsoon, but modelling that ki nd of effect is difficult.

is pretty well known. What has it got to do with anything?

Working out what's going on in whatever Flyguy uses for a mind isn't easy a t the best of times, but this is even stupider than usual.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I told everyone that my air conditioner died when I lost the Neutral. I've had days over 100 degrees in my house. since then.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

Phhht, that ain't hot. Yesterday it was around 100F and I rode 47mi on my road bike, full bore much of the time. Still only used one sweat band. I carry two and switch them if it gets above 105F.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to