Another Mechanical Problem

Counterweights are out. Mass isn't a good answer for a few minutes of lid-lift (bulky and adds inertia).

So, either attach a swivels-out arm on the lid to lift with some leverage, or a swivel arm to the REAR of the tank, and apply a pull-down force there (like, with block and tackle). If a door-closer type hydraulic damper could be added to the scheme, to prevent any lid-slam-shut events, that'd be good, too.

Or, saw a porthole with some kind of flap closure, and just feed through that. One still needs to lift the lid for cleaning, though.

Next time maybe consider mounting the hinge axis through the center-of-mass of the lid, or making the lid slide sideways for access.

Reply to
whit3rd

Put some gas shocks on the lid! you only need to a fish scale to measure the needed LBS to pick up the lid..

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

power driven hinge shaft on the back of the lid. 5 rpm 90 degree worm gear drive motor that couples with the hinged shaft to open or close it under power.

P.S. We've done this before only we used a ratchet gear with ratchet claw so one could simply pick up the lid by hand instead of under power. This was on a large glass enclosure for a snake. To lower it , it had to be done via power and of course you could raise it that way if you wish.. the problem was people were dropping the lid when the snake scared them and some times cracked the glass.

Just a thought.

P.S. you most likely would need some one that is partially machinist talented to help you. Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

One simple answer would be to hire a neighborhood kid who is strong enough to lift the lid.

Hal Murray

I'm going to cut a hole in the lid and fit something like a "desk grommet" to pour the fish food through. ...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Ah,the KISS principle. excellent!

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The bolt through his neck went rusty.

Reply to
Ian Field

Spring loaded 'safety hinges'?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Somewhat late, but a wire torsion spring has a low profile, and seems well suited. you'd need one with the correct torue to support most of the lids weight when deflected 90 degrees. you could possibly put the spring through the higes instead of the pins bending one end along the edge of the hood and the other (after running along the hinged seem the apropriate distance) across the lid will reduce the stress on the woodwork.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Fit the grommet, then I went to O'Reilly car parts to get an oil change funnel.

Found the exact perfect fit. It was discontinued, so they _gave_ it to me... FREE ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Great! they must value you as a customer.

(or the clerk could not figure how to enter the closeout price into the sales register.) ;-) call me cynical..... :-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik