another board

Late at night, by candle light, John Devereux penned this immortal opus:

He'll sit fat and happy that the world has finally come to agree with him. Never give it a thought that there's at most a couple of dozen posts daily, and always by the same handful of peeps.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

Late at night, by candle light, Jim Thompson penned this immortal opus:

You're really happy in your world of delusions, aren't you?

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to
YD

So prove my magnificently working circuits don't exist by the boat-load.

And show me your designs (snicker ;-)

Why, oh why, is it that leftists are so ignorant and vocal ? ...Jim Thompson

Cranky Old Git With Engineering Mind Faster Than a Speeding Prissy

The boys took me to the Ace Cafe last night after work. This is a different kind of biker bar, more about serious racing bikes than choppers or those things you pedal. It's just a couple of blocks from Zeitgeist and Highland World Headquarters.

I got a pint of Franziskaner, but Mo showed up and drank most of it.

Come by and do the rounds sometimes. The bar at Zuni is impressive, too.

John

I know but prototyping / repair gets kinda hard. A few months ago I wrecked an FPGA. Fortunately it was a PQ208. Ordering a replacement took me more time than replacing it.

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

We have the gear to rework BGAs. What they do is heat the chip region to unsolder and lift off the old one, stencil paste onto the new one, place it, and reheat. We have a nifty OK thing that slips a video prism between the BGA and the board and looks up and down at the same time, to align things, then lowers the chip straight down. We don't Xray or anything extreme like that.

Our designs are getting increasingly FPGA-centric, and it usually doesn't make sense to partition a design into multiple chips, so the ball counts keep going up and the PCB routing gets nastier and nastier. Are serial busses the answer?

John

On a sunny day (Tue, 20 Oct 2009 13:06:16 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Many years ago I suggested in comp.arch.fpga they make a 40 pin DIP FPGA with serial... But then there are applications that need that many I/O pins, like a 512 channel PWM light dimmer for example. The success of i2c has proven serial is cool. Speed gets problematic too, as serial is one thing at the time, so that would mean optical. Now we will get that new Intel 'light peak', maybe it will be an I/O option in FPGA too. And then there is memory interfacing, and PCIe, nothing will likely ever get simpler, until Microchip starts making 40 pin DIL FPGA's :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

FPGA too.

simpler,

I was thinking of LVDS and RocketIO type busses, similar to PCIexpress, several gigabits per second over a differential pair but looks parallel inside the FPGA. Things like fast ADCs and DACs and even DRAMs could go serial and save a lot of balls. People would need to get organized.

I2C is sort of a dog.

We do use SPI for slow DACs, ADCs, temperature sensors, serial eeprom, stuff like that when we can. Sometimes we drive a shift register, like a 74HC595 maybe, to create some port pins away from the FPGA or uP with two or three traces.

John

On a sunny day (Tue, 20 Oct 2009 14:22:47 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Yes it is slow, but if you want simple I/O expansion then a PCF8574 can do both input, output, and interrupt on i2c, more expensive then a HC74xx shift register though. I once took a text line LCD (before we had PICs), added a PCF8574, and did drive the LCD via i2c via quite a long, say > 10 meters, of shielded audio cable. The PCF connected to the LCD data and control lines, 4 data, RS, RD/WR, and Enable. Driven from a BASIC source, from 3 PC parport pins, you can have the BASIC code if you want.

Yes, I still have some small 24C16 i2c EEPROMs, Wrote a programmer for it too, works on PC parport, needs only 3 parts:

Jan Panteltje

Late at night, by candle light, Jim Thompson penned this immortal opus:

What leftists?

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to
YD

Why weren't their parents both neutered?

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to

The positive effect of allowing gay marriage ;-) ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | Cranky Old Git With Engineering Mind Faster Than a Speeding Prissy

It would take more than that to willingly raise antisocial losers.

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

FPGA too.

simpler,

No "sort of" about it. SPI is a lot simpler and faster, though it is no speed demon either. I2S is kinda nice, for anything that takes any data volume, like multi-channel digital audio. Different purposes, though.

Yep, SPI is easy. Whe've had 10x the problems with I2C for about 1/10 the performance.

Reply to
krw

The nanny state raised them, that is why they love it.

Reply to
JosephKK