another thermal thing

The problem is that the board house sampled me a slab of 4 oz copperclad polyimide, and polyimide is a horrible thermal conductor.

Oh well, it's getting better.

Has anyone noticed how hard it is to get samples lately? People want to know what is the application, what will be the volume, what is the project schedule, and then they want you to fill out forms. For a $1 insulator! It must be all the new CRM and database software that everybody is installing.

A bureaucracy is made of people, but a bureaucracy is a machine.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

And the other one is on fiberglass (FR-4)? (That's not very good either.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

There are lots of others. I've used alumina loaded teflon and isocyanate bonded teflon cloth.

These days you ought to be able to get diamond-powder loaded resin or telflon, which might have a rather higher thermal conductivity.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

That's why sales and applications engineers have to sign an NDA before they set foot in the door. They want information too. Given that they also sell to our competitors, they probably do have more information about the market than we do. ;-)/2

...and self replicating.

Reply to
krw

I just finished an inquiry for a 5 USD device on Alibaba for a potential million quantity per year product. To get the samples the company wants 40 USD. Pretty stupid to risks a very large account for 40 bucks.

Anyway, I paid up, needed to go further. Perhaps they thought I was a DIY just scrambling for free samples

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Den mandag den 26. oktober 2015 kl. 21.00.32 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

it wouldn't surprise me if it all had do with incentives/bonuses/performance reviews being tied to that database

so every one is busy making sure they get the credit and the bonus for a sale if they took the request for a sample and that they have some impressive numbers lined up for the next performance review

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I want to buy a few thousand aluminum nitride insulators. One outfit wants $100 for a 1 square inch sample. Another one (the German company that acquired Thermalloy) wanted so many iterations of info that I gave up on them.

Sometimes people offer samples but won't pay to ship them.

Nobody wants to sell any more.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den tirsdag den 27. oktober 2015 kl. 01.32.32 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

quite a few of the semis have free samples, I think TI just forwards the request to digikey

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

TI is great. I can fill out a sample request in the afternoon and have the parts on my desk when I stagger in the next morning.

Yes, Digikey does it for them.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

This is pretty much SOP in the far east- free samples but you pay for an expensive courier shipment (serious buyers don't use airmail).

Weeds out the riff-raff.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Their FAE drops the samples off, takes us to lunch, and refills our candy bowl. We're his only customer so he takes care of us.

Reply to
krw

ITAR. You might file that copperclad into a knife and ship it to $BAD_GUY[this_week] .

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

When I was in New Orleans, we were the only serious electronics outfit in the state. The TI guys loved to visit. We got great service and lots of free lunches.

I decided to build a telemetry system around a National part, which looked like a good deal at $6 each. TI came in with the equivalent at

90 cents. They *really* liked partying in New Orleans.

We sort of have that same effect in San Francisco. Lots of people want to call on us. Often a rep will have principals flying in from far away, and the reps have to squire them around, and the reps practically beg us to let them come over.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

  • And is a fabulous moisture sponge.
Reply to
Robert Baer

  • But superior concerning moisture absorption.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yeah, both are horrible heat conductors, around 0.3 w/mk. People actually sell Kapton transistor insulators.

Maybe because it has high standoff capabilities, ~3KV/mil and extreme temperature resistance - melt your solder in a cup of Kapton(R).

Reply to
Robert Baer