Analog buys Linear

Sure, but it's not free. You're paying for it in every part you buy. Large customers can't afford the premium, though we still get the service from other suppliers.

The TI linear/power FAE is just as good as the LT FAE (both are excellent). We're the only customer for the TI linear FAE so he's there to help almost every day (and take us out to lunch ;-). I see the LT folks every couple of months but, then, I don't use any of their parts (other coworkers do use a few). The ADI FAEs are also very good but at different things.

Reply to
krw

AD parts will now grow to LT levels.

I buy a lot of "boutique" parts. most a lot more than LT IC's... At some point if it works the price is not important. (when a part goes away it sucks, for me.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I don't see that happening. There are alternatives and I don't see ADI offering the hand-holding for small customers that LT is famous for. Perhaps there will be some of each, with steep volume pricing? It's all guesses at this point.

Exactly. Small users are more concerned about support than cost. Large volume customers are the opposite, though they still get service.

That part doesn't change. That's why we have contracts for such things. Sometimes a program lives longer than first expected so it has happened.

Reply to
krw

Multisim.

Reply to
krw

He posted "modules" not model.

Obviously his comment was designed to bait you. It worked.

Reply to
John S

On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 21:35:11 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote: Support as never approached the skill level exhibited by LT.

oh... now I know why TI doesn`t have any useable linear support in Austria....

- Michael Wieser

Reply to
Michael Wieser

OK I don't know AD's product line that well. I guess I'm already paying a big price for their analog multipliers and modulator (AD630)

I guess I'm mostly thinking about other companies that have been bought out and I've then see the prices rise. In the distant past we bought photodiodes from Photonic Detectors (or some such name... they still list on digikey) After the price doubled I went looking for a new vendor. (OSI optoelectronics)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

It's all about ROI. We do a lot of business with TI and have probably increased the business at least 5x in the last three or four years, with contracts out five years or more.

Reply to
krw

I think ADI's and LT's lineup is pretty complementary. ADI picks up power from LT, which *has* to have monstrous margins.

You can only do that when there is nowhere else to go.

We like ADI's DSPs but aren't married to them and go elsewhere in a heartbeat if they increased prices significantly.

Reply to
krw

I did not mention "modules" re-read my post please

... pfff ! Please do not twist my words to your advantage. I never ever at any time of my life been the author of such a ridiculous attitude. You're warned.

Habib.

Reply to
habib

Or else what? Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

Usenet is like that, Habib. Having a thin skin just makes you fun to tease , so it's best to go for a walk and cool off if necessary before replying. (I'm not in favour of that tendency of Usenet, for the record. Just the m essenger.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Oh ... nothing, I was just disappointed and angry on that comment ... just an epidermic reaction of me of course.

Indeed I have the skin thin and my apologies to sci.electronics.design but i confess I'm proud of this.

I consider myself old enough to assume my own mistakes and almost also to correct publicly any of my comments (and in the secret of my heart too).

Habib.

Reply to
habib

Better to go to walk ! Thanks Phil !

Habib.

Reply to
habib

ease, so it's best to go for a walk and cool off if necessary before replyi ng. (I'm not in favour of that tendency of Usenet, for the record. Just t he messenger.)

).

What!? Admit publicly on SED that you made a mistake? You haven't read our code of conduct. On SED we never admit mistakes! :^)

Reply to
George Herold

:-)

Oh ! making mistakes and admitting them is my first lesson to learn something "new" every day.

Assume Scientific knowledge is like a perfect gas, it leads to go to a maximum entropy within the availaible space. We can give to SED, from time to time, a high density singularity ; a schematics, a calculation, a comment on a paper, an idea ... or making mistakes and admitting it.

Habib.

Reply to
habib

Jasen Betts

Ok then but i did not make the confusion between spice models and NI modules.

Habib.

Reply to
habib

Okay, here is what you wrote...

"ADi --> Physicists are using electronics (NI modules), from time to time."

You seem to have mentioned "modules", Mr. Terrorist.

Reply to
John S

I'm return a long walk today in Vercors here in French Alps.

I'm a gentle man, many of my friends call me bib or hab .. as they like.

You've been warned.

Habib.

Reply to
habib