An interesting article, video over CAT5

CAT5.

provides a way

example:

understood

My favorite sync separator simply uses an LM339 as a DC restorer, then a second section as the sync stripper. ...Jim Thompson

CAT5.

provides a way

example:

understood

I used to do this discrete until my masters project in the 80's. The sync separators had become so cheap that it didn't make sense anymore to roll your own. Probably because that was the time VCRs became more mainstream.

Anyway, I never use "panacea chips" from the video or similar markets. I have seen companies being burned numerous times by part obsolescence. The millisecond a VCR or camera series is replaced and the mfg chose another chip ... poof ... gone. However, this behavior of other EEs has brought me numerous consulting projects to I won't complain.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

though:

CAT5.

provides a way

example:

understood

Been a long time (~1990) since I did designs using off-the-shelf components, but I know the drill... pick something that's been around so long it's the "standard". ...Jim Thompson

though:

over CAT5.

provides a way

example:

understood

Yup, like the uA733. The fancy stuff like what Jan uses is ok for hobby or one-off but can be risky for products that have to remain in production for a decade or two. I had a time when several obsolete parts dealers were banging on my door to puleeeeze give them some of my LH0063 drivers. Looks like folks had designed them in because it was "easy" and then later ... oh dang!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks

though:

over CAT5.

also provides a way

example:

understood

There's a plus side to it... a recent client came because he could no longer buy my MC1648. Of course the requirements grew into a monstrous SOC :-( ...Jim Thompson

CAT5.

provides a way

If you need to resort to that sort of tinkering you'll never get the image right. Especially with the modern TFT screens which show every imperfection. I have been using remote administrator (see radmin.com) for years to get a monitor output from the other end of the world if necessary. IOW: nice article, but too little too late. Especially since HMDI and so are getting mainstream.

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks

though:

over CAT5.

also provides a way

example:

understood

Oh, that's the same in circuit level design. "While you are at it, could you also ..."

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

"Defacto Standard" (see the qualifier?)is a *standard* that has met such acceptance.

It is no longer a standard so cannot be a "de facto standard". It cannot be a de facto anything.

5e IS the de facto standard. So you are wrong from the get-go.
Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

The most clean optical surfaces are those which are never touched by humans.

So, you never need to clean your DVDs and other optical discs if you never touch their optical read surface, and you never have to clean you camera lens if you or anything else never touches it, and you should never have to clean an optical fiber mating face if you never touch it.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

No. Follow the thread. As has been mentioned by me and others there was a 568 standard for CAT5 (non-e).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

We never ever touch the tip but connections must be unmated and mated. I don't know what happens but signals and polarisation mode hops did become worse over time and the optics guys told me that I shall clean the fiber face every time. It works. Kind of surprised me because we don't live in an area with heavy smog and smoking in buildings has been banned for a long time.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks

though:

over CAT5.

also provides a way

example:

understood

As long as you're designing a chip, you'd better throw in the kitchen sync, too?

Reply to
krw

You keep getting the semantics right, but continually point them at the wrong target. 5e is the de facto standard.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

So, was 568A repealed by our congress and it is now punishable to use CAT5 non-e, or what?

:-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It should damned well be punishable to call CAT5 the de facto std. when it isn't Consider yourself smacked.

Like either of us give a shit.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

I never said that. I said it _was_ the de-facto standard. "was" as in the times when I could still read without glasses.

Exactamente.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

met

=A0It

as

t the

en

LOOK TURD NO ONE IN USENET GIVES A FLYING FUCK WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY SO KEEP YOUR FECES CONFINED TO YOUR COMODE SHITHEAD

I AM PROTEUS

Reply to
Proteus IIV

snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks

expensive though:

chips. For=20

and

SXGA over CAT5.

it also provides a way

for example:

alone understood

don't=20

in=20

don't=20

then

to=20

markets. I=20

=20

has=20

=20

=20

=20

Interesting phrasing. Did you say that they were begging you to "give" the devices to them? If they literally asked me such, i might respond some thing like, "Sure, i will give you one each time you irrevocably deposit US$ 1 million in my offshore account."

Reply to
JosephKK

snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks

though:

over CAT5.

also provides a way

example:

understood

No, they didn't want them free. But I need to keep some here in order to service older equipment. There hasn't really been anything quite like these devices since.

The taxman won't like that ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks

expensive though:

chips. For=20

Ohm and

about SXGA over CAT5.

but it also provides a way

see for example:

alone understood

don't=20

used in=20

don't=20

then

The=20

anymore to=20

markets. I=20

obsolescence.=20

chose=20

has=20

around

hobby=20

parts=20

LH0063=20

and=20

=20

Only if i did not pay my capital gains taxes. =20

Nor would i expect the would be customer to bother, as after a few units worth they could get thousands of new ones else wise. I am quite sure that if you went to National or TI and started slapping the desk with a million or three that they would jump at the chance to make them for you.

Reply to
JosephKK