AMP, ADC, Transistor Questions!

Hello everyone. I am picking up on a project someone else worked and and I wanted to see if anyone had some ideas on a amplifier and ADC connection t hat is being made in their schematic:

1.) See the schematic here:

17m.jpg

2.) I am using a differenctial amplifier to measure a signal (U4 and U5 of schemiatc on link).

3.) There is a 2.0V reference (U2:9 -> VREF+) that is generated from my mic rocontroller that is used as the reference input for the amplifier output.

4.) The output of the amplifier (U4:6, U5:6) I would normally expect to go directly to the analog to digital converter (ADC) of my microcontroller but I see the output of the amplifer connecting to the emitter of a PNP transi stor and then to the input of the analog to digital converter (ADC) of my m icrocontroller

5.) What is the purpuse of C11 and C13 on the outputs of U4 and U5?

6.) What would be the reason to use those transistors (Q1A and Q1B).

7.) Will the transistorrs alawys be on with the base of Q1A and Q1B being c onnected directly to 3.3V?

8.) There is a note in the fireware that says that "We're wired so that 0v at the source -> 0 volts at conversion".

How I am viewing this is that if there there is no difference on the input pins of the amplifier the output will be "zero" but then this will be on to p of the refernce of 2V. (Using the refernce, pin 5) of the amplifer. I gu ess I am missing something here and don't understand what the transistors a re doing. Seems they would just pull the signal to ground the entire time? If the source is 0V how would I have 0V at conversion?

Thank you.

Reply to
electronicsman2016

I wanted to see if anyone had some ideas on a amplifier and ADC connection that is being made in their schematic:

8j17m.jpg

f schemiatc on link).

icrocontroller that is used as the reference input for the amplifier output .

o directly to the analog to digital converter (ADC) of my microcontroller b ut I see the output of the amplifer connecting to the emitter of a PNP tran sistor and then to the input of the analog to digital converter (ADC) of my microcontroller

connected directly to 3.3V?

v at the source -> 0 volts at conversion".

t pins of the amplifier the output will be "zero" but then this will be on top of the refernce of 2V. (Using the refernce, pin 5) of the amplifer. I guess I am missing something here and don't understand what the transistors are doing. Seems they would just pull the signal to ground

Q1A and Q1B are for over voltage protection. In order for the transistors t o be on the signal has to be greater than Vbe + 3.3v otherwise the transist ors are off.

I have no idea what C11 and C13 are for. My guess is whatever they're tryin g to do there is better way to do it.

I don't know what the firmware note means. I don't know what the conversion is doing. The output is referenced to Vref. When Vin+ = Vin- the outputs of the INAMPS are at Vref.

Was this circuit actually built and tested?

Reply to
Wanderer

The PNPs liik like over-voltage clamps that aren't needed.

Those are crazy.

To clamp the signals at about +4 volts. But they can't go over 3.3 already.

No. They act like diodes to +3.3 volts.

Right. But the voltages are close to not working.

The transistors never conduct, so do nothing.

lunatic fringe electronics

thanks for the posts guys!

Reply to
electronicsman2016

Start the project over from scratch.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Grin, that's sometimes best. Or if you are like me, by the time the project is finished you'll look back and see you have re-done almost everything. (And that one piece you didn't change is the one that will later give you the most grief.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Right. And electronicsman2016 can tell his boss we said so, and we know what we're talking about.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Yup. He can show the boss AoE.

If he's doing load cells, EMI will be a hazard. And that poor little IA should be given some more voltage.

The bridge should be powered by the same ref that the ADC uses.

lunatic fringe electronics