AM Microwave Oven Klystron

"Chris Quack"

** Kindly drop dead ..........

Fuckwit.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You were doing quite well with your previous post. A bit of technology explained with an enlightening reply. Asked a simple additional question and we get the above ?.

Another bipolar episode ?, or do you assume that everyone's being sarcastic all the time ?...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

output of

this for

may

62BH.pdf

I would expect that one to splatter at a much higher fundamental frequency, like 30 kHz. That high power transformer feeing the doubler is not operating at 50 or 60 Hz.

Reply to
JosephKK

So long as you stay within B limits you can FM a maggie nicely that way. Going outside the limits tends to OOK it.

Reply to
JosephKK

ut of

is for

.

The secondary side has enough filtering that I suspect that the perhaps 30KHz won't be all that strong on the high voltage. There isn't enough filtering that it would matter to the mains frequency ripple. I doubt that a sandwich cares about the sidebands on the microwaves much.

Reply to
MooseFET

Magnetron, not klystron.

John

It's modulated at line frequency because of almost total lack of input filtering.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Someone said frequency modulation somewhere. I have some small reflex klystrons... trivial. ;-)

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Good book: The Inventor and the Pilot, the story of the Varian brothers, as told by Russel's widow.

John

Backward Wave Oscillators (BWOs) are awesome in this respect, but probably cost in the multi-kilobuck range. You can adjust the power output, center frequency, modulation depth, _type_ of modulation (AM, FM, pulse) with a few trimpots. I did this in the USAF, as an "Electronic Countermeasures" tech. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Why don't they use solid state yet?

Oh right, those pricier-than-gold GaN FETs you're so fond of...

...Just imagine two miles of them, with the covers off, glowing an eerie blue. No one would ever go down there, they'd think it's all Cherenkov radiation from the beam. ;-)

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

output of

this for

via

may

the

radio.

-G62BH.pdf

Um, yeah. That little inductor into a 470 uF cap ain't much at that power level. Though it will have less than non-inverter (regular) types. Saves a bunch on transformer iron and some on copper though.

Reply to
JosephKK