ADC Help

Most of the 16F series:

Almost all the 18F series:

The smaller the part, the less likely to have an SPI port. Mid-range parts i.e. 20-28 pins will share the async serial port with the sync serial port.

The larger parts, 40 pins and above will have both accessible at the same time.

Good luck, and do your homework.

donald

Reply to
donald

Take a look at some Microchip selection table, e.g. for 8 bit controllers:

Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

Yes. Speed was needed as the product is hardware. For a single ADC sample the odd uS is no real problem. Take another 499 readings, average them and those uS can become costly. The listing is the fastest that a cheap 10MHz PIC can do with that ADC chip. Speed wise, built-in SPI or a shift loop, doesn't get a look in. Personally I find using built-in SPI a lot of effort for so little return. It's somewhat inelegant and closes down options wrt pinning/chip selection/costs etc.

The list is actually 'Basic'. Although the statements have 1:1 correspondance with the PIC machine code, I cut and pasted this in favour of the assembly listing as it would make clearer reading to Baron, who's now just at the stage of overviewing what's involved with this stuff. 'Bit-banging' (gawd, I loathe that phrase!) is second nature. Driven no doubt by the adage, "A good engineer can do for a penny what everyone else spends a pound on". (Joerg also has knowledge of these things of which I speak :)

Reply to
john jardine

Thanks for the links and good wishes.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Just a note to say that I got my PIC Kit today. Now for some reading.

Thanks Guys.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.