AC Relay For Hot Switching

Can anyone recommend a relay (SSR, Contactor... or whatever) for closing on an 110V AC "short" with a 200A current limit?

It's for doing AC short circuit testing on some parts, I'm worried about welding the relay shut while it's closing

thanks!

Reply to
panfilero

Thanks, what's the difference between a contactor and a relay? I'll look up some contactors on DigiKey

Reply to
panfilero

Also, the 200A short circuit current is only going to be present for a few milliseconds, nominally this thing would only have to support 10A while it's on

Reply to
panfilero

Is there something actually limiting the current to 200A?

A 50 or 100A contactor rated for tungsten load would probably be okay if you don't mind the noisy clank.

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Den onsdag den 2. april 2014 15.48.10 UTC+2 skrev panfilero:

two back-to-back N-fets and an isolated ~10V supply ?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

no, I'm not trying to make an SSR, I would like to buy one off the shelf, all spec'ed out and ready to go

Reply to
panfilero

Look for contactors or relays with tungsten pre-make contact. They are designed for that kind of application.

Contactor is a high current, mains power, heavy duty relay.

If the 200A short circuit current lasts for less than 20 ms and the sustained short circuit current is below 16 A then Schrack RTX power relays should do the trick

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Bahner

An SSR will leak a few mA, even when "off". This may not be what you want.

Some contactors are all one sealed piece, like a relay - if you burn out the contacts, you replace the whole thing. Others come with a contact block mounted on a coil; if you burn out the contacts, you can just replace the contact block, or sometimes the individual contacts.

Some contactors also have an option for auxiliary contacts that just bolt onto the side of the coil. These aren't rated for huge power like the main contacts - they are for running pilot lights, verifying that the contactor actually did operate, etc.

Square D, GE, and Allen-Bradley (Rockwell) are some of the "classic" manufacturers of contactors. However, their online catalogs aren't real great. Allen-Bradley's "Bulletin 100-D IEC Contactors" might be in the direction of what you want.

Kilovac (now Tyco/TE) makes some really beefy relays (several hundred amps), but they're mostly made for switching DC. I don't know if you can use them to switch AC or not.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds