AC Switch or contactor

Hello Would like to replace a mechanical contactor on welder with an electronic switch, have access to high voltage high current SCR's, guess a TRIAC would be the simple way to go, not really practical for 240 v. , 125 amp.A.C., If someone has been down this road before , I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks Phil

Reply to
Phil

It's some welder if it takes 125 amps at 240 volts.

--
*My dog can lick anyone

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Phil

and my dog can lick your dog...

David

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote...

Reply to
quietguy

I'd love to know what you're welding. You can do near everything with one which runs off a standard 13 amp 230v supply. Commercial ones might use a

16 amp one. Of course if you're welding ships together you'll need something bigger.

Most domestic UK installations are restricted to 100 amps. Many less.

--
*The e-mail of the species is more deadly than the mail *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Have been welding for about 30 years, have joined metal from .010 " to 2" thick , worked as certified Aircraft welder for several years, mostly TIG or GTAW and Electron Beam, typical aircraft tubular assembly would be either .035 or .049 wall thickness, electron beam of Titanium would be on the order of .25" thick, welding light gauge 4130 or 308 Stainless would require very little D.C.to join, if one were to join two pieces of .75" ,6061-T6 Alum., you would need A.C. with the square wave skewed to nearly 70% negative with

75% Helium 25% Argon gas and approx. 400 amp. at the torch , this load will pop a 100 amp. breaker in a heartbeat, and no I have never done any ship building, thanks for your interest. Dr. Phil "quietguy" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVE-TO-REPLYconfidential-counselling.com...
Reply to
Phil

He's probably not in the UK, here in the US 200A 240V is the standard domestic service, at least in areas built in the last 30 years or so, but

400 or even 600A is not unheard of in larger houses.

Still welders can indeed draw a huge amount of current, a friend of mine has a large arc welder that requires a dedicated 30A circuit, and the inrush current is much higher. Another friend has a machine shop and they have a couple even larger welders that run off 480V 3 phase, I'm not sure what amperage the circuit is but the wiring is heavy and the welder is capable of supplying 250A.

Reply to
James Sweet

Just curious :-) If you're pulling 100amps on the primary at 240v, what are the secondary currents you are welding at ??

--
Regards ......... Rheilly Phoull
Reply to

Phil.. Are you confusing input voltage and secondary output amps??

Reply to
Warren Weber

Did look up the specs. for welder, INPUT, 230v.@ 96 amps. , OUTPUT ,40v. @

Reply to
Phil

Did look up the specs. for welder, INPUT, 230v.@ 96 amps. , OUTPUT ,40v. @

Reply to
Phil

Sounds like since you're obviously doing industrial welding it would be better to buy a modern machine suited to your needs rather than trying a DIY bodge.

--
*Husbands should come with instructions

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Phil" bravely wrote to "All" (24 Sep 05 20:44:12) --- on the heady topic of "Re: AC Switch or contactor"

Ph> From: "Phil" Ph> Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:343036

Ph> Have been welding for about 30 years, have joined metal from .010 " to Ph> 2" thick , worked as certified Aircraft welder for several years, Ph> mostly TIG or GTAW and Electron Beam, typical aircraft tubular Ph> assembly would be either .035 or .049 wall thickness, electron beam of Ph> Titanium would be on the order of .25" thick, welding light gauge 4130 Ph> or 308 Stainless would require very little D.C.to join, if one were to Ph> join two pieces of .75" ,6061-T6 Alum., you would need A.C. with the Ph> square wave skewed to nearly 70% negative with 75% Helium 25% Argon Ph> gas and approx. 400 amp. at the torch , this load will pop a 100 amp. Ph> breaker in a heartbeat, and no I have never done any ship building, Ph> thanks for your interest. Dr. Phil "quietguy"

Assuming the arc voltage is around 50 to 80 volts then 400 amps at the electrodes could indeed have surges exceeding 100 amps from the 240 volt supply.

What immediately comes to mind is to use a bank of triacs in parallel or a single BIG f***er. I know they make 400 amp and even 1,000 amp triacs though these are industrial types not available at the corner diode convenience store.

A*s*i*m*o*v

... Of course it's grounded! ...watch, ...YEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!

Reply to
Asimov