AC excitation of RTDs and other resistive sensors

There's a good book on the subject - H.K.P.Neubert's "Instrument Transducers" .

It's been out of print for a long time - the second edition was published in 1975 - but you can still buy it second hand

The first edition was enthusiastic about AC excitation of strain gauges and resistance thermometer, in part because the Blumlein bridge gives more sensitivity than the Wheatstone bridge

As Rayner and Kibble point out in "Coaxial AC Bridges"

- also out of print - the impedances of the arms of centre-tapped 1:1 transformer winding made with twisted pair can - with care - be equal to about one part per billion, and dissipate quite a lot less heat than their resistive equivalent. Ratio transformers - made with twisted bundles of wire, rather than just twisted pair - only get to about one part in ten million, but standards laboratories love them.

AC excited bridges are more complicated than their DC equivalents, but the complication buys you quite significant performance advantages, and you could pack it all into a couple of square inches of board space, even with through hole parts.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

2012 - 1975 = 37.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

F...

=3DBl...

That's the second edition. I read the first edition as a graduate student around 1968 - I may have a reference to it in my Ph.D. thesis, but that's been in Australia for more than a year now, along with my second-hand copy of the book (sold off by a US academic library).

Most of the references in the book were to work done in the 1940's at Farnborough on wind-tunnel measurements. Neubert may have known Blumlein personally. Classic work doesn't have a shelf life.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

ie=UTF8&condition=all

%20bridge&f=false

One technique that I use when I can do so is to AC couple into an ADC, and sample synchronously with the AC excitation. This lets you demodulate in software, which in turn lets you completely sidestep any ADC offset issues.

Moreover, if you have the processor bandwidth to sample many times within an AC cycle, you also get to average out a bunch of quantization noise and ADC nonlinearities. It doesn't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear

-- but it can gain you amazing improvements.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

2012 - 1968 = 44

Technology moves on. Gain used to be expensive. Parts were huge. Tubes drifted millivolts and a chopper amp had a mechanical vibrator, tubes, transformers, and occupied a few U of relay rack... I have one around here somewhere. People had no way to tuck a nanovolt noise and drift amp a few mm away from, and isothermal to, a thinfilm platinum sensor.

Sure, being aware of classic stuff is good. Being aware of modern stuff is good, too.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

This one works that way:

We clearly resolved 90 nm steps using an ebay LVDT, driven by a stepper motor and a good ball-lead screw. We did that as a demo for one of those big segmented mirror telescope things. We didn't get the job (they wound up using a commercial lipstick-sized microscope focussing thing, servo motor driving a fine pitch screw) but it was fun to try.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

A very useful technique for getting down to the limits. I'm using an FPGA to avoid any question of processor bandwidth.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

My 1996 paper

Sloman A.W., Buggs P., Molloy J., and Stewart D. "A microcontroller- based driver to stabilise the temperature of an optical stage to 1mK in the range 4C to 38C, using a Peltier heat pump and a thermistor sensor" Measurement Science and Technology, 7 1653-64 (1996)

describes a system where we used 20-bit sigma delta ADC to measure the bridge output and it mentions that we could have used "reversing DC" AC excitation with another 20-bit ADC from the same manufacturer, had we had a -5V power supply.

"Crystal Semiconductors do sell the CS5520 20- bit bridge transducer A/D converter which supports low frequency, 'reversing DC', AC-bridge excitation, but it requires both +5 V and -5 V supplies, which ruled it out in our application)."

The only programmable logic device we used was the ICT PA7024 which was an antique even back then, but it was - just - good enough to do what we required and we already had the programming tools for it.

The technology has moved on a bit since then. You can get much faster sigma-delta A/D converters, which does open up other possibilities, and FPGA's can be programmed to act as pretty much any kind of multi- threaded signal processor you feel like (and can afford to buy the IP for).

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman