A380 "engine problems"

On a sunny day (Thu, 04 Nov 2010 18:11:06 -0700) it happened SoothSayer wrote in :

Some TV is good. I spend part of Germany -> Tokyo in the A380 cockpit on Vox TV just days earlier. nothing went wrong, Lufthansa seems to fly RR too. Nice instrumentation, bit strange to see them pull out the keyboard though. It also shows how little one can do IF anything goes wrong. All computahs.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 04 Nov 2010 18:18:19 -0700) it happened FigureItOut wrote in :

This is better, to the stars:

Jan Panteltje

earlier.

In saying "You guys" I meant *this* group and regular TV, not what you get on the planes.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

Future "last words" from a cockpit voice recorder:

"It's not working; what should I do?" "Try Ctrl-Alt-Delete"

Reply to
Nobody

According to the article below the blades in the hot section cannot be contained because they spin too fast. The plane is designed to make sure that these blades can't hit anything important if they do fail so watch where you sit!

The big fans at the front actually spin much slower and therefore can be contained.

"The engine cowling cannot protect an aircraft from an uncontained disc or blade failure ? the high-speed HPT spins so fast that it is impossible to contain a departing blade. So plane designers make sure that any critical structure that could be hit in an uncontained failure has a backup in another part of the plane.

So the investigation will want to find out how the A380's wing became punctured. A punctured fuel tank in the wing of an Air France Concorde in 2000 led to an in-flight fire and fatal crash.

The lower-speed fan blades at the front of the engine are the ones most likely to come off ? when a bird hits them, say ? but they turn slowly enough that a reinforced Kevlar band in the fan casing can contain a shed blade."

Reply to
Gareth

The just-about-to-be-released HP "Slate" tablet PC (meant to more or less compete against the iPad for business applications) has a touchscreen and on-screen virtual keyboard, but for some reason they also made Ctrl, Alt, and Delete physical buttons on the device.

Hmmm....... :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

"Whadda ya mean, some passenger's rebooted the system?"

Reply to
PeterD

So that's why they have so many passengers on every flight.

I saw an 80,000 pound thrust engine disassembled at the P&W training facility. The containment band is kevlar+epoxy, maybe 6" thick, a few feet long, wrapped around the fan casing. Beautiful amber color, like beeswax.

John

Gosh, I bet it runs Windows.

John

It does! It also costs a rather astonishing $800, although depending on which model you get that's at least close to Apple iPad territory (...but they sure aren't going to sell many based on cost alone...)

HP isn't completely clueless, though: For "consumer" sales (the slate is aimed squarely at "business" users) they're planning to come out with a tablet in Q1

2011 running WebOS rather than Windows.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

As opposed to a nice Samsung netbook for $250!

We use these all over the place, for rom burners, JTAG pods, whatever. My cabin automation system is a netbook bashing files in/out of my FTP site.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/CABIN.TXT

John

Yep; netbooks have a very high bang-for-the-buck. Their sales have apparently just started dropping this past year... an article I read wants to blame that on tablets, although I kinda think it might just be because they're hitting market saturation combined with people just having less disposable income at the moment (...since the vast majority of netbooks are 2nd or 3rd PCs anyway...).

Very nice... My mother asked me to set up a netbook to monitor her weather station and upload the results to the 'net... I then did the same thing at home, although there it's just a regular PC I already had that plays file/media server. There's all of a couple hundred lines of code that collects and uploads the data, and then the Internet provides pretty graphs and storage of the results for free:

.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Nice. I didn't want to go to the trouble of setting up a web server. I have a PowerBasic program the does the temperature acquisition and controls the furnace, and another one that up/down loads files to my FTP site. It was fairly easy; mostly I just call the Windows command line 'ftp' utility.

This lets us turn on the heat before we leave SF, so it's all toasty when we arrive.

John

So one can run 'Legacy DOS Applications' when needed. Like The Old OrCAD tools or Tango, etc.

And then of course, there is NetHack. :-)

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

Probably DuPont "Conap" polyurethane 'epoxy'. It is the only thing approved for space use on HV supplies.

A 1" thick slab of it left in the bottom of the bucket after use could stop a bullet. I am not kidding, it cannot be cut, stabbed, pierced... NOTHING. It GARBS whatever is attempting to part it.

A sharp, thick bladed knife, thrust hard into it, only travels about

3/8" into it and STOPS dead!
Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

The passenger that filmed the punctured wing avoided death by only a few meters. If the shrapnel had departed at a different angle, it would have punctured the cabin just where that passenger was sitting.

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

On a sunny day (Fri, 05 Nov 2010 18:19:01 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

I see you use 2 setpoints. My system uses 1 setpoint, and tests every 60 seconds for higher or lower. This gives a more precise temperature control. Also you did not display the setpoints in C, so I have no clue what the temp is you want. And if you display the reference voltage, how did you measure it (against what)? or is this just the measured reference voltage as a constant for the calculations? Uptime is good.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 5 Nov 2010 19:12:36 -0700) it happened "Joel Koltner" wrote in :

Wow, my hat of to you!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Announcing that may have been slightly unwise--_not_ the most secure arrangement, unless you have some encryption on the files.

Cheers

Phil

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

is you want.

Come off it, Jan! You know as well as I do how to subtract 32, and multiply by 5/9.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse