A useful addition to your toolkit

So imagine a pcb trace carrying the unknown load current. Place four test probes in a line along that trace. Measure the voltage between the inner pair and inject a current through the outer pair such that the voltage measured is reduced to zero. The current you have to inject will be the same magnitude but opposite direction to the unknown load current.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!! What a perfect way to destroy electronics! Forcing current into a print, where the current to be measured, can change without prior notice, and your current is going the other way......

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

No with six connections I think it's OK. If the input current changes, then the voltage across the trace changes, and the external circuit compensates. It's a lot of work to measure a current. But a new idea for me, Thanks piglet.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

And how do you measure the injected current?

"You can't fool me! It's turtles all the way down."

Reply to
Ralph Barone

It's not hard to figure where current is going: just measure voltage drops. What's sometimes difficult is quantifying it.

Just now we're laying out a 10-layer board with two ground planes and three power planes. There are 22 power supplies. Most of the power distribution will be interestingly-shaped interleaved pours, not traces, on various layers.

That magnetic gadget would be hopelessly confused. Multiple currents and various return paths would make it useless.

My favorite tool for tracing unusual current flows is my Flir E45 thermal imager. It cost $12,000.

We just demoed a cool new thermal imager, mounted on a nice little stand, with its own display and also USB interfaced for pics or movies. They're going to let us keep it.

lunatic fringe electronics

Let's see you use it to find a stray 100 mA DC on a crowded circuit board. :(

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Names, please. And results, later.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

You don't need to cancel the trace current--just injecting a calibrated a.c. current between the two probes would be good enough to measure the trace resistance, then compute the d.c. current from the d.c. drop.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

We don't believe it until there are pictures.

Reply to
tom

You can add a current sense resistor to that current... as large a turtle as you choose. The idea is not not disrupt the measured current with a resistor. Heck, this could be done with an external device like a meter. You just need four probe points which wouldn't be too hard with a good design. It would need to be sharp enough to pierce the solder mask easily. The only danger to the electronics would be if you probed two different traces... lol

Maybe that should be one probe with four sharp contacts.

--

Rick C
Reply to

I'm not sure I can name names yet. It's still in development.

We've become sort of a beta tester for these people. They send us units and get our feedback, and we can keep them. Or maybe they just like coming to San Francisco.

lunatic fringe electronics

Just power the board down and measure the trace resistance!

Another trick is to measure the drop in a trace, add a dummy load resistor, note the delta-v, and do the math.

Or measure the trace resistance on a bare board from the same batch.

lunatic fringe electronics

Sure, but we're talking an automated instrument do that all in one go, without having to make a separate 4-wire resistance measurement.

I like the magnetic probe for qualitative info. Maybe a Hall probe could do it too.

We need a FLIR for magnetic flux.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

It would be cool to see the mag fields around a board.

lunatic fringe electronics

OK next you'll be synchronously detecting the AC. :^) George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Of course, that's the reason for using a.c.!

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Hello James,

That would called an EMSCAN.

- Wolfgang.

Reply to
wolfgangfriedrich42

AWESOME.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

That's easy. Just sprinkle it with iron fillings. ;->

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Oh come along now. You know it's not intended for that sort of usage!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom