or

It's Weird.

Hardy

Reply to
HardySpicer

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Are you sure isn't some MP's gimp mask that has been delivered to the wrong building in Whitehall ?

Reply to
Charles Ellson

In what way is it weird? These types of equipment are made only to be functional. Not to be pretty. I guess those lumps on the top contain motors for head up display control. Why smooth them into the design when it adds nothing? All that's needed is to avoid sharp bits that could snag something, which they have done.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Underwood

No. Those ARE the HUD devices. There are no motors, and if there were, they wouldn't need to be that big.

I think they look pretty advanced.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

I'd love to have one for Halloween...

--
%  Randy Yates                  % "...the answer lies within your soul
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %       \'cause no one knows which side

Autism is still prevailant in some NGs I see!

Reply to
HardySpicer

All we need to add to it is a ram-jet personal helicopter making fiery exhaust circles And we have Ezekiel's dog-faced man and wheels within wheels. Aliens-R-Us!

Jerry

Jerry Avins

ChairmanOfTheBored hath wroth:

According to the accompanying article at:

the instruments are projected directly onto the pilots visor.

It's also listed as a "developmental" helmet, which means the aesthetics committee has yet to provide their input and modifications.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

On a sunny day (Sat, 10 Nov 2007 21:38:47 -0500) it happened Randy Yates wrote in :

The green eyes make it look a bit cat like...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I'd be willing to bet those were painted into the image.

It's a promotional shot.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Yes. One for each eye. Are you not familiar with our modern technologies for redirecting optical light beams?

Those could be the projectors, and the image gets cast onto the visors AFTER it gets routed. The guy's head is kind of in the way of having the projectors directly behind the visor, so redirected imagery HAS to be the way it is done.

It looks fine. Why make the thing even bigger by attempting to cover or "smooth over" such small, unobtrusive bulges?

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

I doubt the functionality of these helmets is a great deal different from the ones we made 30 years ago. Those did use motors, and quite large ones. Small motors tend to have problems meeting military design goals. If I had thought for a moment, I should have realised a modern design would be unlikely to have any moving parts.

Some people fail to see elegance in a design that embodies fitness for purpose. Some people think the more advanced bats are really ugly. I see a wonderful piece of natural sonar engineering. :-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve Underwood

Ever seen the movie "Hellboy"? ;-)

It's also very Borgish, and the green eyeballs are just too much! ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I'm guessing that the green eyes are due to the light reflected from the HUD. So, why no color HUD display? The technology should exist to to this by now.

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
Procrastinators: The leaders for tomorrow.