A better quality ISD (Winbond) chip..anything new ?

I read in sci.electronics.design that Rich Grise wrote (in ) about 'A better quality ISD (Winbond) chip..anything new ?', on Wed, 14 Sep 2005:

And telephones, but to retain a 'balanced' sound quality, you need then to restrict the high end as well - 300 Hz to 3.4 kHz is about right - surprise!

You don't get any significant increase in intelligibility by extending frequency response above 8 kHz, and if you have 8 kHz, you should roll off from 80 Hz at the low end. There is an empirical rule for this 'balanced sound quality' in BS 6259 - a straight line on log-log scales from 20 kHz/20 Hz to 2.9 kHz/400 Hz.

Well, not really harmonics, but higher frequencies. 120 Hz to 6 kHz (at

-3 dB) sounds 'balanced' and has high intelligibility, while not difficult to achieve, and is also acceptable for music (excluding household hi-fi).

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that " snipped-for-privacy@kcbbs.gen.nz" wrote (in ) about 'A better quality ISD (Winbond) chip..anything new ?', on Wed, 14 Sep 2005:

I didn't say that they do. I said that you almost certainly don't need

10 kHz audio, 8 kHz is enough.
John Woodgate

Look at digital audio DACs - they are very very cheap, and have all the filtering etc. Can often be driven from an SPI port. You can often take liberties with the audio interface timing - as long as the LRCLK is synced to MCLK (use the same clock as the micro), and you give them enough sclk pulses in each phase of LRCLK , they will usually behave.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Have you experienced temperature dependent failures with the ISD chips?

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Hello John,

Those are average. Every time I gas up I reset the 2nd trip meter and you can pretty much divide the number of miles on there by 25 to arrive at how many gallons will fit into the tank.

Most trips are under 20 miles, in a more or less rural setting.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Ok, interesting. I've never used a Winbond chip, but a buddy of mine is going through hell with an ISD audio chip at present.

Reply to
Clifford Heath