978 MHz FSK Receiver

Hi All, I would like to build a receiver, single frequency (978 MHz). The signal is FSK modulated. I see a lot of dedicated ICs but they are for lower frequencies or limited to narrow bands.

Does anyone know of a "tunable" ic that can do this? Perhaps with a SAW filter input?

Thanks

Rich

Reply to
rich

Superheterodyne receiver:

.--------. .------. | | 45MHz | | o-----| filter |---> X ------->| RX |------>

Find a FSK receiver that'll do what you want, shift the frequency to what you need.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

. =A0The

=A0|

I just learned that the data rate is 1Mbs, way beyond any off the shelf IC I have found so far......... I WAS looking at TI's CC1000

Rich

Reply to
rich

What frequency shift?

You should be able to do that with an I/Q downconverter, and baseband demodulation. Or any of a bazillion other ways, but that's one that comes to mind easily.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

You're not the first

Sounds like a challenging project!

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Nordic NRF905 ?

Reply to
TTman

I remember, back in the early days of satellite TV, some brands of receivers used an NE564 PLL chip to demodulate the video. IIRC, the IF in those receivers was 40 MHz, and fed directly into the NE564 for demodulation. Demodulated video came out the other side, with a bandwidth of around 6 MHz. Datasheet is at

The datasheet even shows how to make an FSK demodulator. If this is a one-off project, Unicorn Electronics
still sells the NE564.

--
David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net

Hz). =A0The

=A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0|

The specs are the same as the other posting:

Frequency 978 MHz, +/- 20 PPM Delta f/2 +312.5 kHz

-Delta f/2 -312.5 kHz Modulation Type Continuous Phase FSK Modulation Rate 1.041667 MBPS Sensitivity -93 dBm

I was looking at the TI CC1000 but the data rate was low. How about taking the IF output from that device and filtering/demodulating? I have been search for a well defined PLL based demodulator design but, given my lack of experience in this area it is all as clear as mud.

Tim, I will look into using an I/Q downconverter, and baseband demodulator. (whatever those are) ;-)

Thanks again.

Rich

Reply to
rich

Video was amplitude modulated, your are looking for an FSK demod.

Reply to
John

vers

MHz.

.

Satellite analog video was FM.

The audio was on an FM sub-carrier of the video typcally 5 to 6 MHz.

You are thinking of terrestrial video which was AM.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Yes I was thinking of OTA (off the air as you know)

By the way Do you know of any magazine dedicated to OTA High Definition ? It's very hard to get program info on the sub channels like X.1 .2 .3 .4

John

Reply to
John

What about the TV section of your local paper? Or google "TV listings." Right now I'm using the TV Guide website, but I'm not terribly happy with it, mainly because it's so junked up with ads and stuff; I was using the AOL listings but a week or so ago, they disappeared.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

'Terrestrial video' was Vestigial Sideband: One side of the AM signal was mostly removed, leaving the carrier and other sideband to conserve both spectrum & power.

Michael A. Terrell