800MHz signal source (2023 Update)

Hi

For an upcoming project, I need to generate a 800MHz signal that is used as an energy source for a energy harvesting solution

So far I have been told it's a 800MHz burst, so looks something like this:

I do not know the repetition rate

I have 2 500MHz DDS signal generators. I am thinking maybe feeding them to a mixer and using a bandpass to only get the 800MHz signal.

Does that sound reasonable?

I could also use a FET open drain to charge an inductor and let a capacitor trim the LC resonant frequency. A lot easier probably

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund

Could you just use a varactor and triple the DDS output frequency? Triplers were a common item once-upon-a-time, and it oughtn't be too hard to get a generator of 267 MHz.

It even works at high frequency

whit3rd

On a sunny day (Sat, 27 Aug 2022 22:33:21 +0200) it happened Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in <tedv2e$v7c$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>:

LC oscillators work OK at 800 MHz, even for high power. You could AM modulate its supply perhaps?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Nothing is said about the required power level. I would try to ping an 800MHz LC resonator with a transistor switch. Much simpler than DDSs, mixers and filters.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

lørdag den 27. august 2022 kl. 22.33.39 UTC+2 skrev Klaus Kragelund:

how sketchy do you want?

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Nice, I am guessing that is only digital output...

Reply to
Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund

Yes, seems to be the way forward

Reply to
Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund

Get a hold of the actual intended generator hardware, or its current prototype.

RL

Reply to
legg

Tune one of the generators to 200 MHz and use an 800 MHz BPF instead of a <250 MHz LPF as the DAC output filter? Most DDS chips put out a useful signal well into the GHz range, as long as you steer clear of the sinc nulls.

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

For a one-off, I'd tend to go with a Mini Circuits FD-2 frequency doubler from my drawer, followed by a BPF made from coax stubs.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs