78L05 temperature stability

Hi, what do you think how is the 78L05 stable regarding temperature changes? What output voltage change do you expect if there is a temperature increase, resp. decrease of 10 Celsius grades?

Thanks

Fero

Reply to
def5

And there are more accurate / stable parts in the same package, such as the LP2950ACZ-5.0 types, 20ppm/C typ = 0.1mV/oC

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Hah, the LP2950 *is* a bandgap reference (with a step-up amplifier)

That would be a puzzle, something I haven't noticed. The LM78L05 says its load regulation is typically 0.1% (1 to 40mA), whereas the LP2950 says its regulation is typically 0.04% (0.1 to 100mA). Of course, if you did mean 7805, rather than 78L05... The LP2950 has a nice low ground current of only 75uA (at low load currents).

With its 0.5% spec, and its low cost ($0.36 qty 1k at DigiKey), the LP2950A nicely straddles the line between voltage regulator and voltage reference... You can power a few modest-drain items and also use it as a tolerable voltage reference.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

It is all in the datasheets. For the LM78XX, there is an "Average Output Voltage TempCo" of typical -0.65mV/°C

HTH Wolfgang

--
From-address is Spam trap
Use: wolfgang (dot) mahringer (at) sbg (dot) at

So is the 12-cent LM78L05, no?

It's a lot fussier about output capacitance than the 78xxx regulators (can be unstable with ceramic capacitors or too little capacitance). Maybe his was oscillating. At the price, I do like the tolerance of the A version for some applications.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

sorry,

should be LM78_L_XX

HTH Wolfgang

--
From-address is Spam trap
Use: wolfgang (dot) mahringer (at) sbg (dot) at
Reply to
Wolfgang Mahringer

Hi Winfield,

Well, yes, of course, but the OP asked specifically for 78L05. If he needs an accurate voltage, the OP would be better off using a bandgap reference or something.

I have once used an LP2950-5.0 instead of a 7805. I was puzzled, how poor the load regulation was compared to a 7805.

regards, Wolfgang

--
From-address is Spam trap
Use: wolfgang (dot) mahringer (at) sbg (dot) at
Reply to
Wolfgang Mahringer

Try reading the datasheet !

Graham