555 relay current reducer

Actually, ionization can be caused by the radioactive background (ionizing) radiation, as for instance in the Geiger-Mueller tube. In a sufficiently strong electric field this can be followed by (Townsend) avalanche multiplication due to sufficient acceleration of this first ionized electron (and possibly the associated positive ion from that atom that's just been ionized) that it is able to ionize other atoms, eventually possibly leading to an electric arc.

The electric field can be 'strong' because the voltage is high over a considerable distance, for instance 500 V over 1/2 meter , but the same electric field strength (E = 500V/0.5m = 1 kV/m) can be obtained by applying only 1 V of potential difference over two contacts which are spaced a mere 1 mm away, as occurs in our relays just before they latch.

It's the strength of the electric field (potential difference over distance with S.I. dimension [V/m]) which determines whether this avalanche occurs after the first ionization due to ionizing radiation already has occurred.

I must admit though that I haven't calculated whether or not that length (e.g. 1 mm) is enough to accelerate the first ions, ionized by the external radiation, enough to ionize the next atom.

If not, I propose a compromise, tunnel ionization, but in order for that to occur with a significant probability the electron first needs to be 'pumped up' a bit through near-infrared strong laser pulses, as I just learned from this interesting article:

But in fact I doubt if it makes any difference which phenomenon caused the original ionization event.

joe

Reply to
Joe Hey

In a closed system, no. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Nice goal post move, there, Joe. ;)

Cheers

Phil

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

There you go, spilling the secret and destroying major segments of the audio and RF business.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Not really, but never mind. :)

joe

Reply to
Joe Hey

If it turns out to be 0 ohm -20% you're in luck :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

--
Yes, of course, but even with all of that considered, since:

1. You can't win the game,
2. You can't break even, and
3. You can't get out of the game,

the claim that a laching relay can have infinite gain, even locally,
is false.

Is that claim something you'd like to contest?

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

--
See what I mean?

"Brooding", according to you, is a negative term which tries to make
me seem to be at fault for exposing your foibles.

Something useful for me to do, according to you, would be for me to
ignore your errors and limp away from the confrontation.

It's not going to happen.
Reply to
John Fields

--
Lucky us.
Reply to

--
But, in the limit, it doesn't.
Reply to

You may as well spend the rest of your life obsessing about this. It's not as if you are doing anything else.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Since you're not privy to my comings and goings, your claim is vapid,
though I must admit that I do delight, from time to time, in pointing
out that your feet are made of clay.

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

?

I merely pointed out the bleeding obvious

happy trolling. It's pretty boring

Reply to
tabbypurr

--
Then why not just get the fuck out of dodge instead of suffering
others with your opinions?

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields