50 Dead in Kentucky Tornadoes (2023 Update)

50 dead and it may rise to 100. Yet KY is seeing 60 deaths every day from Covid and the count is on the rise again. KY only has a 53% fully vaccinated rate. I suppose they don't fear a deadly disease.

So it stands to reason they don't fear tornadoes much either. I wonder if they have anything in their building code that requires protection from tornadoes? Most likely too many people demand their freedom from intrusive building codes.

Reply to
Rick C

How many are below 75.

How many are below 75.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

What are you talking about???

Reply to
Rick C

It wasn't considered worthwhile to design for tornadoes until now.

I wonder who will decide which standards to use and where. Tornado Alley is in the middle of the United States.
. Building to withstand EF5 storms would get expensive. Safe rooms might be one answer. Nebraska farmers had the old root cellars to hide in during storms in the old days. Basements replaced those as time went on. We have so much better warning systems than a couple decades ago.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Add Dixie Alley to the long list of things I haven't heard of.

Dean Hoffman

The location of the high tornado risk area seems to vary with who is reporting it.

Reply to
Rick C

I saw that some people were praying to God outside their destroyed church.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Randy Newman has a song.

Rick C

Sounds about right.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Were they praying for a miracle or because there had been a miracle?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Well, I suppose they could have been thanking God for finally showing very clearly that he doesn't give a stuff about them, so that in future they can stop with the whole praying thing, and use their time for something they actually like doing.

But probably not.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

It is easy to imagine other possibilities, e.g. they were thanking God for destroying the evil heretics from another denomination. Ditto Godless people in general.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yes, but it requires a considerable degree of double-think on their part to explain the destruction of their church. I suppose the church might have belonged to a rival denomination, but the report I saw indicated that it was their church.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Indeed.

Doublethink and/or ignorance is, of course, a required attribute :(

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Gee, you atheist folks are so compassionate. How about, they love God and love their church, and are praying for His aid and comfort in their distress?

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Or even better, not indulging in something they merely like but something that might do them good, like understanding statistics...

Reply to
Mike Coon

Er - no. I think such any behaviour is reprehensible.

I'm just reporting what some religious people actually do to other groups, in the name of their religion. For examples, see history books and newspapers.

But an omnipotent God could have prevented them being in distress in the first place.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Reminds me of a kid who breaks a leg of his hamster and then expects praise because he plays doctor so nicely for the rest of the day.

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

That's Munchausen syndrome by proxy.

"Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy: An Alarming Face of Child Abuse"

I'm told we are all His childrebn.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I was in one of those red dots, in Louisiana. It lifted the roof off our house about an inch and dropped it back down. I had to go into the attic and pound down about a hundred nail heads sticking up.

It wasn't bad otherwise, some fence damage and some shingles ripped off the roof. Down there, the real killers are hurricanes.

The US gets a lot of dramatic weather. A couple of feet of snow in the sierras yesterday.

Reply to
jlarkin