48 cores

LOL I thought it was going back to the heady days of the 8048.... 1.3 bill transistors :)

Reply to
TTman

The SCC is a research chip. There are already 96 core Intel boxes available for a price - financial, game theory and chess engine researchers tend to like them or clusters for tuning their algorithms.

Note that the thing is tied into Intel x86 architecture to allow direct ports of existing unmodified code. I am a bit surprised they can put enough I/O pins around it to keep all the cores supplied with data.

And to be honest I would be a lot more impressed if Intel could manage its web server so that they could deliver a copy of the PDF white paper without resetting for timeouts part way through.

Can anyone download the following?

Or are Intel so proud of it that they have already pulled the file? The PDF isn't accessible from the official Intel press page either, but the article is slightly less garbled than on the Register.

They are using a toolset based on Hadoop and Java environment to support the multicore parallel processing. It is very short on benchmark numbers which I would have thought would be the whole point of such a chip. The power consumption of 125W flat out is impressive though - I have an old P4 chip that uses more than that with just two cores flat out. And their stock cooler was rubbish with squeaky bearings from day one.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

No problem here. Took about 10 seconds with Firefox.

Reply to
JW

On a sunny day (Wed, 02 Dec 2009 17:25:38 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Other demos included the SCC running the compute-intensive Black-Scholes financial modeling app, a JavaScript-based 3D modeling app, and Microsoft Visual Studio compiling code for the chip's parallel-processing environment.

OK, Black-Scholes:

scroll back to the DOS and BASIC ? version, man that was long ago. Java? yes that is so slow you will need 48 cores or more. Visual studio? MS windows?

48 blue sreens at the same time? shigh, poor guys. LOL
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Same here.

b. Farmer