400Hz 115V ac power testing - Matlab/simulink to the rescue

We have a couple of products that generate programmable sine waves in real time, in software. A bit of periodic IRQ code runs a DDS with sine lookup, driving an on-chip DAC. LPC1768 toy ARM.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

I assume the regulator takes care of that. As speed increases, the open-circuit voltage of the alternator goes up, maybe way up. But the alternator is largely inductive, so above some modest speed it becomes a variable-frequency constant-current source. I need to sort of approximate that, and certainly current limit.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

An 8 bit AVR or PIC one guy can fully understand. A modern x86 processor system is too complex for any one person to understand all of, not even the teams that built them.

A data structure that wraps a dynamic array like a std::vector sure makes life easier.

Reply to
bitrex

Possibly LM124s but definitely no LM324s.

I saw early 1970s airborne controllers use many JANTX uA748 (derivative of uA741) - you got something against old IC op-amps?

piglet

Reply to
piglet

Nah! the LM324 is probably one of the most useful if-it-aint-broke-don't-fix-it quad op amp ever made. For an analog computer where you're working with frequencies in the 100s of Hz why not?

Reply to
bitrex

On a sunny day (Sun, 27 Oct 2019 12:10:00 -0700) it happened snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in

Exactly, the way to go! Long time ago I wrote some Verilog for my Xilinx FPGA board to send user defined waveforms

8 bits analog video :-) R2R DAC:-) test patterns.

I was thinking for this application I would not even use .wav format but just use raw, Most Linux audio utilities can play that if you specify sample-rate and format, specifically look up play and sox aplay

And then use 'cat' to put together pieces of signal you made in C. cat 100Hz transient 110Hz 100Hz_amplitude_drop > test_signal.raw

Example bash code that uses aplay to play raw format read from rtl_sdr : rtl_fm -d 0 -N -f $frequency -p 46.000000 -r 24k -l $squelch -g 49.599998 | aplay -t raw -r 24000 -f S16_LE --buffer-size 10240 -c 1 -D default - So there is a whole NBFM VHF radio receiver in one line...

so then cat test_signal.raw | aplay -t raw -r 24000 -f S16_LE --buffer-size 10240 -c 1 -D default -

Or shorter in one go ;-) cat 100Hz transient 110Hz 100Hz_amplitude_drop | aplay -t raw -r 24000 -f S16_LE --buffer-size 10240 -c 1 -D default -

Example OK! But then I am .. sometimes I edit video with 'dd', successive approximation is your friend. Takes a few minutes.. just to get start and end or get rid of commercials from movies recorded from satellite.

If you are a microsoft purist and must use wav plenty of simple Linux utilities for that, some written by me ..

But wave format sucks for this sort of thing as it requires a header, not needed if you know hat you are doing, and then you can also play with the speed etc. And microsoft is now a security risk in the EU.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 27 Oct 2019 15:39:23 -0400) it happened bitrex wrote in :

Strange.. its is just an other processor to me In those olden days we programmed the 386 in asm, my boss at that time was really into that would sit next to me an we coded. One day I started designing using 8051 and what was it 8047 with build in EPROM I think it was, embedded and in asm, that was too much and he then required everybody to learn C So we got C lessons from some programmer, exactly 3 hours IIR :-) I have Kernighan and Ritchie.. But a lot of C programming tricks I learned from a magazine: Dr Dobbs.

Sounds like Cplushplush, a crime against humanity!

For the rest: See my reply to John Larkin

Look up the code for this newsreader I wrote and use now, been using it since the late 1990ties;

it is K&R C with linked lists.

And it has a database that goes all the way back.. whatever one wrote that was interesting enough to me to click 'lock' is in it, including what I wrote.. From many many Usenet groups...

Just a few hundred kbytes size, GUI,,,, ;-) No bloat.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Why do anything in plain sight, when you can hide it behind a few levels of abstraction?

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

why use ICs when you could build everything from discrete transistors, or harvest sand from the beach and manufacture your own vacuum tube envelopes with a kiln

Reply to
bitrex

On a sunny day (Mon, 28 Oct 2019 12:16:45 -0400) it happened bitrex wrote in :

That is what you do by typing :: a trillion times for no reason at all. And computers do not work with 'objects' but work sequential.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje