Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I wonder how they managed to put solder mask and silkscreen on

it is supposedly 20oz so ~27mil thick copper

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

What would need 20 oz copper ? 1000Amps ?

TTman

from the reddit thread it is DC/DC module for a formulaE car

+/-450V input, 14V@150A and 24V@80A output
Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Maybe they took it to an auto body shop... lol

I wonder how they would stack more than 2 layers?

--

Rick C
Reply to

Wow. They got much more definition on the traces than I would have expected. I assume that it's plated up -- I wonder if they plate it up and then do something to flatten it out before the solder mask.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Looks like they even got 20oz on the thru holes.

Martin Riddle

Really thick prepreg between the layers ?

Reply to
boB

No -- with a typical foil-etch-and-plate process, the width/space rules are greater than the thickness. It really doesn't do you much favor.

Special processes, like Lintek's vacuum metallization, can produce vertical sidewalls on the plated metal (there's essentially no undercut because it's etched very little: only enough to take off the remaining metallization).

That would require a resist layer (which acts as the "mold" forming the copper side) as thick as the deposited metal, though, which I expect has some drawbacks.

They claim good results (though they don't give a width/space spec with it) up to 100um plating (several oz), with capability up to 500um (i.e., ~20 thou, about as many oz) presumably with relaxed tolerances at that level.

I think it's funny they're in 'Oz, but don't measure their process in oz.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

The technology is available up to 200 oz/ft2, it really shines in handling thermally induced stresses, handling huge currents, making planar high power transformers and super efficient heat sinks.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Why the unsoldered resistors ?

Reply to
boB

  1. For scale.
  2. Zero ohm resistors, made redundant by 20 oz. Cu.
  3. Disarrayed, proving that resistance is futile.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

If the traces involve high frequency, perhaps it would be better to use something like a 10 layer PCB with 2 oz copper to reduce skin effect.

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

Proving that you can't just throw copper at a pcb pattern to cover up a lousy design concept, or change in system voltage.

RL

Reply to
legg

0676838.jpg
812244.jpg

ing

The thing with this technology is the whole board doesn't need to be the sa me copper weight. The people promoting this product envisage controls and s marts using conventional high density 1 oz on the same board as this heavy stuff, which is plated (differentially) and not etched, if I understand the ir description correctly.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred