2.4GHz WDSL antenna radiation hazard

Yes. Big time. It reflects the radiation away.

If the metal roof is between you and the antenna, and the radiated power is only 1 Watt, and you are several meters away from the radiator, and the parabolic dish is directing the radiation AWAY from you I would almost say don't worry about it. Between the parabolic reflector and the roof, the vast majority of the radiated power will be directed away from you.

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

Very unlikely.

Yes. Probably a very large degree. Way better than a tin-foil hat.

You said earlier, "I assume the output is less than a watt." But I would venture that through a steel roof off the edge of the dish, either way

-- I wouldn't worry.

If you live in the United States, what your boss is doing is probably illegal. You could try narc'ing him/her to the FCC. Whether they would care enough to even get involved is another question. If they did, it would not be because you are getting irradiated, but rather because this would exceed ERP broadcast power for an unlicensed station.

Reply to
rex

Probably over a thousand years, cumulatively. Thank you very much. ...

Yeah - if you were inside a 600 watt microwave oven, your blood would boil.

Not from _that_ one.

Yes, but it's irrelevant.

Negligible.

If you're really that paranoid, maybe this link could help:

;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yeah, if you have hypersensitivity disorder.

Geez, when I was in the USAF, working with jammer transmitters, (whose frequency is, of course, classified information), some guy showed me how the little blade antennas could light up that NE-2 screwdriver thingie, but if you didn't have the little NE-2 screwdriver thingie handy, you could feel it with your hand. It feels warm. This is at mumble-mumble watts (classified information, but a couple of orders of magnitude, at least, greater than zero point zero one watts. Sheesh!)

And it hasn't affected my brain at all. No, not even a little bit. Not at all. NO EFFECT, I TELL YOU!!!!

--
Cheers!
Rich

Anybody got a link to that stock footage of that H-bomb test that shot ocean water five miles high and the battleships look like ants?

I just saw a rerun of it recently in the opening credits of the ST:E ep where they were doing the Earth Empire alternate universe. (I was a little disappointed with the story until the second rerun where I finally realized, "Oh! _Empress_ _Sato_! [Heh, heh, heh!]")

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

^^^^^^^^ Infinitesimally.

--
Rich Grise, Self-Appointed Chief,
Apostrophe Police

If you wish to sire children I'd recommend a lead jock strap.

And maybe a hard hat as well.

...Jim Thompson

With the corrugated roof, maybe you should worry more about any possible antenna directed towards you. (esp the one at 4 km?)

There are ofcourse magnetic fields involved too, but those are likely to be infinite small.

Reply to
pbdelete

"Mark Harris" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

[snip]

Now that smoking is practically banned, complainers have found a new target -> radiation.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'invalid\' when replying by email)

The threshold for danger will be if you can hear the clicking in your head due to the instantaneous microwave heating of your brain.and the resultant fluid shock wave reaching the innear ear.

In message , Roger Lascelles writes

--
dd
Reply to

Please excuse me if this is not exactly the right group to inquire about this, but it seems like there is alot of experience here.

My boss recently installed a WDSL antenna on the roof above my workstation. It is the 2.4GHz frequency hoping spread spectrum (FHSS) type. Since the repeater is about 4KM away, line-of-sight, I assume the output is less than a watt.

It has a rectangular open lattice reflector (parabolic), about a half metre square, with the transmitter bulb protruding out from the center. It is on top of a 6' vertical steel pole, placing it about

8-9' above my head.

I am seated just below it, but several metres behind the line-of-sight, under a corrugated steel roof.

I understand it is probably highly directional. However, I am still concerned about ongoing exposure, and have read conflicting opinions about dosages at this level. Apparently, 2.4GHz has bioactive properties.

Would I be receiving any appreciable amount of microwave radaition from this antenna?

Does the metal roof serve as a protective shield to any degree?

Could someone venture an estimate as to the dosage given a 1W output?

Thank you very much for any assistance.

Mark Harris

Reply to
Mark Harris

If the metal roof is completely blocking the path between you and the antenna, and there is no other metal object which can reflect the beam onto you by some other path, then you really are extremely safe. I would gues that your body receives a fantastically minute amount of the total radiated power. I would be happy to work under the same conditions, and I am a very careful person.

I have worked with microwaves, and I noticed that at 10GHz, even 0.01 watt continuously radiated from a horn antenna 4 metres away is enough to give a "microwave headache". You can actually feel it on your hand if you put your hand in front of a horn antenna at 0.01 watt.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Lascelles

No, the ERP limit of a spread spectrum part 15 transmitter (47 CFR 15.247) is 1 watt.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Washington State resident

Reply to
Mark Zenier

In message , Rich The Newsgroup Wacko writes

Age 6 at Farnborough Air Show (any one care to guess when this was?) I was encouraged to stand infront of a meteor nose cone radar with a fluorescent . I recall its bright light in daylight. Initiated my interest in electronics but did not interfere with my initiation of 4 kids.

--
dd
Reply to

I *hate* to add to these things, but wouldn't a head-piece fashioned from aluminium foil work better? :-)

Peter

Reply to
Pete

I'd go for an aluminum foil codpiece, even though some may find it offensive or disgusting...

-----

Ben Bradley

Is this somehow related to Michael Jackson being aquitted? Seems like something he might wear.

Reply to
rex

Mark, Do you own a cell phone? THAT is what you should be worrying about, if one were to worry about such things. 1000's and probably millions of times more intense RF radiation field, even if you consider the occasional use issue. Worry about the chemicals in the water you drink, how much you drink, as in alcohol, the crap VOC's coming out of the carpet in your house and at work,

1st or 2nd hand smoke, and buckle your seat belt.

Steve

Reply to
Anonymous Coward

...and the effects of perfume in just about everything you buy ...and other people inflicting their perfumes on you in public places. (Have you seen the list of chemicals and what their hazards are?)

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk