1M ohm resistor across battery terminals - Why?

My Canon isn't too expensive to run. It keeps running until the last bit of ink is pulled off a sensor's prism and it doesn't flush too much ink into the gutter.

I don't know about Epsons today, but last time I used them it was typical for only a very tiny fraction of ink to hit the paper. Clean, print, clog, clean, print, clog, clean, and then $$$ ink tanks are "empty" while visibly half full. If you lived in a humid environment the giant sponge for the waste ink would overflow.

Kevin McMurtrie

How much ink came with the initial cartridges?

I have about 30 Epson inkjet printers that I haven't bothered to test, because of their low quality. I prefer old HPs and some Lexmark/IBM printers.

I have several printers that had one of the ink cartridges explode. For some reason, it is always the green tank that ruptures and sprays ink all over the place.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Sure, and Fairies have wings and are very small like butterflies.

Seems like bad use of a resistor to me, the item is unserviceable by the mfgr., but you the spaceage handyman that you are, are trying to fix it with the input from his group?..... You got the fix,..buy one, apply the mysterious little resistive booger to it and close it back up..stop beating this dead horse.

Mike, you are lucky..I tthink that green ink is trying to teach you something.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

My HP 8200 has been great. It returns ink to the cartridge instead of just wipping the print head on a sponge like the epsons and probably the cannons as well.

For day to day printing, I use a black and white laser printer that I bought for doing a remote master's program in 2004. Nowadays, I refill with toner kits about every 18 months for a cost of operation of about $7/year. I print about

3000 pages/yr, mostly chapters for my wife's school program. In 50,000 pages and 6.5 years, I've bought two toner cartridges for a total of about $120 (they do wear out!)
Reply to
AZ Nomad

The nice thing about ribbons was that the print just got fainter over time... no surprise compared to, e.g., printers that decide the ink cartridges are "expired" (like some HPs do) and you can't print out one more character before purchasing & installing a new one!

Granted, for ink jets do have far better resolution than the old dot matrix printers ever did.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

My hp P2015dn produces a pop-up but keeps on printing. I just ran a cartridge to severely light printing before changing it out. ...Jim Thompson

               I can see November from my house :-)

Yes, but your K850 has cartridges that expire something like 24 months after the "end of warranty" date printed on them or 30 months after the first use -- whichever comes first.

Interestingly, most of this expiration stuff is being done in the Windows printer driver: If I power cycle the printer with "expired" cartridges in them, I can print all day from Linux... but as soon as I print from a Windows machine, bam! -- the printer status lights start blinking, indicating an expired cartridge.

HP claims that expiring ink cartridges are meant to avoid plugged ink lines or similar troubles in machines with separate tanks from print heads, and while I expect there is something to that, it's most annoying that they don't update the driver to provide the, "I don't care, I really need to print out a few more pages right now, I'll willing to risk plugging up the ink lines" option.

You can get refillable cartridges that have a "self-resetting" chip on them, interestingly enough. (I no longer print enough to make it worth my while to refill ink cartridges, though -- but I did while I was in college.)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I guess we use the K850 enough (my wife's Girl Scout stuff) that we always run a cartridge dry before it indicates any warnings... I guess I've never seen a time-out. ...Jim Thompson

               I can see November from my house :-)

FWIG, Kodak. I gave up on ink-jets years ago, though.

Reply to
krw

I have at least two Kodak printers, but I've never even plugged them in.

Right now I'm using a HP 2570 series network inkjet printer. It also has a built in scanner that allows you to select which computer on the network you send a scan to.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Our HP all-in-one at work emails the scan. I use an HP2015dn, here at home. I don't print enough to keep inkjets working.

Reply to
krw

I have a monochrome laser, and the HP inkjet. I paid $10 for the Samsung laser printer, and had to buy a black cartridge for the free HP.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell