12V-12V converter!

Dear All,

Is there any such thing as 12V-12V converter?

I have never heard of it before.

Regards

Reply to
Myauk

Maybe a boost converter that uses a 12 volt battery and providing a 12 volt output, boosting the voltage so you can get 12V regulated out of

12V unregulated.
Reply to
Bitrex

For a 12V battery you could use either a Sepic or a buck boost. These topologies can either buck or boost the output voltage as requiried to maintain 12V.

Reply to
Hammy

Do you need it to be isolated?

For non isolated, you can use a SEPIC converter or:

P-MOSFET ---- --------+-------)))))------+------->!----- Load ! ! ! ! ! =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D --- !!- ! ^ B---!!- N-MOSFET ! ! !!--GND A GND

At 12V AB and B can be driven by a level shifting driver. The logic can be all put in a small PIC.

Linear makes a chip that does it with two N-MOSFETs.

Reply to
MooseFET

Do you mean +12 to -12?

You can buy SIP-packaged isolated DC-DC converters from Mouser or Digikey, ballpark $8, all done.

John

Thank you all for the answers and suggestions.

Thanks, that's what we were looking for.

We use it for isolation purpose.

It's +12V to +12V (no change in polarity).

One thing, what is the topology behind these SIP-packaged isolated DC- DC converters?

Still single ended primary inductor converter?

Regards

Reply to
Myauk

I'm guessing they are 2-transistor self-oscillating square wave forward converters.

We sometimes make our own isolated supplies from mosfet or opamp drivers and ISDN transformers.

John

I used one recently, 12V to 12V, to isolate something. I noticed that it needed 100uF on input and output to keep ripple / noise down to a reasonable level. That *was* mentioned in the datasheet, when I read it properly. Don't make the same oversight...

--
Nemo
Reply to