120v LED bulbs -- innards

Really. What's *your* address PUSSY? AKA jack snipped-for-privacy@cox.net

Reply to
John S

Around your neck would be very nice, AlwaysWrong alias jack snipped-for-privacy@cox.net

You got no nuts. Your mad is just your personality, you POS!

Reply to
John S

You're a goddamned retard, and your mother is a criminal.

I have enough to tell a pussy like you that fact. What you gonna do, pussy boy piece of shit?

Reply to
Son of a Sea Cook

Just so I'm clear -- GIANT RAT -- you have some real problems.

I'm outa here and I'll remember to avoid you.

Seriously, you need some help dude.

Reply to
mkr5000

Funny, I saw your posts as indicating your need for professional assistance. In both electronics as well as psychological.

Because you are also a pussy. Maybe one day you will learn to face your inadequacies.

No. An asshole like you, whom thinks he is better than others, and whom thinks he has the competency and qualifications to assess others needs help.

You are that asshole, asshole.

And you couldn't understand a character like George Leroy Tirebiter if your life depended on it.

Do a google search and learn something, you pathetic punk excuse for "modern maturity".

Just so you (we) are clear, chump. YOU are the mental case.

Reply to
The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra

He's (she's) also on record as being prickless.

Reply to
Pomegranate Bastard

I did find several possibly serious flaws in my circuit.

First, I found that most LEDs have an absolute maximum surge current of=20 about 3x to 5x normal, so the usual 5mm LEDs are generally 20-30mA=20 continuous and no more than 100mA peak. My circuit uses a very low duty=20 cycle PWM with current peaks of 300mA or more, so that may damage the = LEDs.

Second, the 100mH inductor was based on an ideal model, and when I added = the=20 ESR of a real inductor (90 ohms for a Murata 19R107C), the efficiency=20 dropped to about 70-80%.

I was able to restore 90% efficiency or better, and reduce the surge=20 current, by using a 1.5H choke with 70 ohms (Triad C-85X) for 86% = efficiency=20 and 90mA peak with 19mA and 1.88W out, but that is a chassis mount choke =

about 1.25" cube and 0.4 lb. Costs about 7 bucks. But according to the = spec=20 sheet it's only rated for 10mA (although I think that should be 100mA).

The slightly larger C-24X 1.0H 50ohm is rated for 240mA and I get 88%=20 efficiency at 26mA and 2.6W, peak current 130mA. About $8, 0.75 lb.

And there is an even larger C-17X 1.5H 40ohm 300mA which gives almost =

90%=20 efficiency at 29mA and 2.94W, peak current 110mA. About $18 and 1.6 lb.

Using it for a string of 33 high power 1W LEDs I can get 235mA and 26.6W =

with little ripple, and 89% efficiency. But that's really the same as = just=20 using the diode bridge and the choke as ballast.

So, as Heinlein asserted, TANSTAAFL, and the realities of the physical = world=20 will get you every time. But this has been a good learning experience, = and I=20 think it should be possible to make an inexpensive and fairly simple=20 controller using much higher frequency. The components are readily=20 available. The difficulty is providing the power to a device that runs = on 5V=20 or 12V or so, from a nominal 175VDC source. For a 10mA device such as = the=20 LT1241, a resistor and zener will dissipate 1.7 Watts. And it's twice = that=20 for a 240VAC application.

And there is the single IC solution=20

which works up to =

450VDC=20 and is only about $2 from Mouser. It uses a 100 mH inductor (for 20mA) = but=20 runs at 100kHz and does not have the large surge currents. For 200mA = LEDs=20 the inductor is only 10mH.

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

As perhaps a final answer to the question of what may be in such bulbs, = I=20 searched for Supertex on Mouser, and they have a TO-92 or SOT-89 device = with=20 just about everything but the inductors and diodes, useable on nominal =

120=20 or 240V mains, 50mA output, for $0.70/100s:=20

Can't beat that!

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

Well at least I wasn't being singled out by this moron -- which is good to know. "Rat", (clever moniker, by the way), you lose another battle and it's always the battle "people" like you create.

You lose dipshit. Sanity reigns.

Love and kisses. xxx -- Michelle

Reply to
mkr5000

Which is why you will always be a 4-F grade subordinate.

Reply to
Bart!

know. "Rat", (clever moniker, by the way), you lose another battle and it's always the battle "people" like you create.

Here is a partial list of his other sock puppets:

THE DIMBULB SCORECARD

A Monkey

Abbey Somebody AM AnimalMagic Archimedes' Lever AtTheEndofMyRope AwlSome Auger BaltoTopDog BarnCat Bart! BigBalls

10 BillyPilgrim BlindBaby Booong... Bum, Bum, Bum, Bum... (Intel ad)" Bungalow Bill Capt. Cave Man CellShocked Chairman Meow ChairmanOfTheBored Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

Copacetic

20 Corbomite Carrie DarkMatter DarkSucker Do I really need to say? Dorothy with the Red Shoes on Dr. Heywood R. Floyd DrParnassus FatBytestard FigureItOut FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsistor 30 FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsistor George Orr GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement

Hattori Hanzo Hellequin Herbert John \Jackie\" Gleason" HiggsField IAmTheSlime ItchyGato ItsASecretDummy

40 Jupiter Jaq Kai LargeMarge Lewis Redmond life imitates life Lil Red Riding In The Hood

lurch MadManMoon MakeNoAttemptToAdjustYourSet snipped-for-privacy@disdatanddeudder.org

snipped-for-privacy@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org

50 MeowSayTongue Mr.Eko Mr. Haney MrTallyman My Name Is Tsu How Do You Do Mycelium Mycelium Neanderthal Notably Stationed Numer0 Un0 60 Nunya OutsideObserver Perenis ? snipped-for-privacy@hereforlongtime.org? Pieyed Piper Phat Bytestard RoyLFuchs scorpius

SkyPilot SomeKindOfWonderful

Son of a Sea Cook

70 SoothSayer Spurious Response StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt Sum Ting Wong Sum Ting Wong

SuspendedInGaffa The Great Attractor

TheJoker The Keeper of the Key to The Locks

The Last Mimsy

80 The Loner The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra TheGlimmerMan TheKraken TheQuickBrownFox TralfamadoranJetPilot snipped-for-privacy@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org

UltimatePatriot UpGrade UpYerNose

90 ValleyGirl VioletaPachydermata WallyWallWhackr WarmUnderbelly 100WattDarkSucker
Michael A. Terrell

know. "Rat", (clever moniker, by the way), you lose another battle and it's always the battle "people" like you create.

If all those nyms are in your killfile, you're not paying attention to details. ...Jim Thompson

Annoy a Liberal...
           Suggest That They Use Their Own Money to Fund a Company

YOU aren't paying attention. I have told you time after time that the headers don't contain enough information when you access Giganews through Earthlink. I had very few issues when Earthlink had their own server farm or when they outsourced to Supernews. After Giganews bought the Supernews corporate accounts, I have to filter in my newsreader. There are too many trolls for Newsproxy to handle all of them, due to its limit of 100 filters. I use Newsproxy to flag troll ad political group crossposting, and to flag people who troll a lot of newsgroups. Then a filter in Netscape marks them read so it doesn't fragment trolled threads.

I maintain a list for newbies to the group.

Michael A. Terrell

I use Giganews. What I'm trying to point out is that judicious use of "Don't kill" filtering along with "kill" filters cuts the "test patterns" wa-a-a-ay down... like to a few entries.

I stopped using Newsproxy when I switched to Giganews since they provide message-ID in their headers... though I may return to using it as a pre-screen against those that insist of troll-feeding Slowman and Allison... kill messages that contain (Sloman|Slowman|Allison) in the body of the message ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I don't get the nessage IDs, without downloading the messages. Giganews offers a different, stripped down service to corporate accounts for ISPs. It isn't what they sell to individuals. They also have private newsgroups I can't access. Those are only availible to individual accounts.

Michael A. Terrell

I didn't realize that some ISP's were offering Giganews stripped down. I'm paying $7.99/month... well worth the price for the ability to block whole newsgroup cross-postings, plus Slowman and Allison and Larkin (I threw out an olive branch to him and got it cut off... but he's brainless and useless anyway... oh, well ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I already pay too much to add another $8 a month for newsgroups if I can avoid it. The reduced headers supposedly reduce the load on Giganews server farm, but not if you have to download more information to trap what you don't want. I'm thinking about using an old computer for a local new server, behind a firewall so it won't be visible to others.

Michael A. Terrell

You are a total loser.

Reply to
DarkMatter

You wouldn't know what an olive branch was if someone beat you half to death with one.

Reply to
DarkMatter

You wouldn't, for sure.

Reply to