0.1 uF 0603 faves

We all tend to turn into caricatures of ourselves as we age. The good outcome is to turn into Mr. Magoo and not Yosemite Sam. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Just stay goofy, and delegate the annoying bits to younger folks.

lunatic fringe electronics

Aftr losing two decades of my life to mold spores, I'm finally learning how to gain control over the suckers.

Feels great.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

I'm surprised you feel that way. The reason I bugged you so much is you raised the most interesting questions.

Now that I am regaining my health, I will be too busy to do much posting. Got a lot of catching up to do.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Well, riff on them instead of complaining. An expanding sphere of silliness is often a great path to a serious idea. It is harder to be silly when you're feeling bad.

Be happy as much as you can.

lunatic fringe electronics

Where do you live? Ragweed was killing me, so I researched where it doesn't grow, and moved there.

lunatic fringe electronics

Thanks for the help. I live in Ontario, Canada. Mold grows everywhere. High desert towns like Boulder Colorado have a bit less, and the homes are newer and built to more recent codes. Most homes in Ontario are very old. The ones I was living in were 50 to 100 years old, and full of mold.

I didn't realize the risk until the symptoms started showing up. By then it was too late and the damage was already done. It is permanent.

Fortunately I live in a fairly modern building with an understanding landlord. He pretty much let me do whatever I wanted. I sealed the entire building to reduce the drift of spores from the basement, and sealed the appartment to minimize incoming spores. What I did not realize is a window I was using for ventilation was bringing in mold spores from the attic. These came up from the basement through ventilation pipes. I recently sealed the window, and things finally started getting better. There is a lot of work to do but I am finally starting to gain headway. For example, I must build an ozone sterilizer to kill the spores in my bedding. I started this project over 8 years ago, but made little progress due to the debilitating effects of the spore toxins.

I don't think moving would do much good. Most of the places I could move to are full of mold, and it would take a huge effort to make them as good as what I already have.

I am relating this to illustrate the damage spore toxins can do to your life. It can happen to anyone, and you don't realize the risk until it is too late. The best thing is to stay completely away from mold-infested buildings.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

I use GRM188C81E105KAAD

AntonF

Phil Hobbs wrote on 11/6/2017 11:31 AM:

I assume you are asking about brands? I don't worry with brands so much as the cost is not important. I'd rather have the flexibility with bypass caps of using what is expedient for procurement. Often the assembly house stocks appropriate parts since nearly everyone uses these parts.

I try to spec 50 volts again, for expedience but also to be low on the voltage curve. Looks like when I spec'ed my most recent board I was still at 25 volts on the 0603, 0.1 uf parts, Kemet C0603C104K3RAC7411.

I used 45 mil high ref des because it is a /very/ tight board. The first layout was hard and then a second rev with some parts added was much harder. I only got it to work by moving some parts to the other side opposite the surface mount connector which freed up a little space because there was more pad overlap. I had a lot of trouble getting the PCBs made without undue clipping around the pads and vias. They would clip the ref des so badly many were unreadable. They seemed to be unduly concerned about the via holes being covered. It would take a phone call with the PCB fab house (my assembler's pick, not mine) to get them to leave the silkscreen alone. Once they did that it was readable enough. If you could see the parts, you could read the ref des. If you couldn't read the ref des, you didn't need to as the parts were too small for you to see them well enough to work with them.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

Where can one find more info? Google & Wiki aren't doing it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Mop every surface over with vinegar. It kills the mold and the spores, and for some time at least, stops them re-growing. Do the attic and the basement as well, as well as you can. You also need to clean up anywhere dust settles, because mold grows invisibly in the dust.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Acetic acid is volatile, borax is not