Video controller recommendations ?

I would like to use a microcontroller to create some graphics that can be output to a VGA monitor or NTSC screen. So far I have found plenty of character generator ICs or software, but what I am looking for is a simple bitmap/framebuffer chip that allows me to set arbitrary pixels in an array (say 320x200 pixels) and outputs a video signal. Any recommendations ?

Reply to
grubertm

I have no idea, but it sounds damn interesting!

What are you planning?

I like lowres :)

Reply to
Simon Scott

Just want to hook up my AVR Butterfly to a screen and create a graphical user interface for simulation purposes. It seems that with the end of home computers, simple graphics controllers have disappeared from the market. Now I am trying to hunt down a Commodore 64 to maybe use its graphics chips.

Reply to
grubertm