TI-30 70 S2 mystery temperature sensor

Found in a yoghurt maker whose heating element never turns off :

Black plastic, 23.3 x 6.7 x 3.6 mm with two wires (red and black) coming out of one end. Marked IT-30 70 S2.

From the shape, it could be a thermocouple or an RTD but I know nothing about temperature sensors. Does anyone know what it is ?

Thanks in advance !

--

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his
salary depends upon his not understanding it. -- Upton Sinclair

I don't know what you have, but here is a quick lesson.

The RTD is a resistor that changes in resistance as it heats up. Almost always they will go up in resistance as they heat up. The resistance is around 110 ohms for some at room temperature.

A T/C will generate a small voltage and go higher as it heats up. Around 1 milivolt at room temperature. If you use an ohm meter it will show almost no resistance. Just whatever the short wires are.

A RTD does not care about the polarity of the wires, a T/C will as it generates a small DC voltage.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Got it, thanks. The fact that the wires are different colours points towards a thermocouple but the resistance is much too high (or so I'm told by the person who's trying to repair it).

I'll try my luck on sci.electronics.repair. Someone must have seen one of those before.

--

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his
salary depends upon his not understanding it. -- Upton Sinclair
Reply to
Andre Majorel

It's an entire thermostat, made by Ka Wo in Dongguan China.

temperature. It will switch a few amperes at mains potential directly.

This looks more like an overtemperature cutoff device than a control device to me, but then I have no idea how a yoghurt maker works.

I would be looking for a different kind of temperature sensor than this part.

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany