Spice newby, with request.

Hello, I decided to bite the bullet... LTspice. I'll try to fumble my own way, as I prefer to waste my time rather than that of others, but can anyone help set me up with a couple of models? I need LM317T regulator and also LM317MDT (500 mA SMT type) if for any reason it performs differently in ways Spice can model. I also need CA3140E and LF412 op-amps, and a DVD writer type laser diode would be nice to try too. And a source of capacitors as I need to model accounting for specific behaviours of metallised polyester and tantalum...

If someone is willing to make a simple template for me, please do. Exploring and editing existing known-good stuff is a faster way to learn. A simple LM317-based regulator with a few external parts as specified in data sheet app notes, made in LTspice, will do fine. I don't need the internals modelled, but it has to behave like a real one. :)

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Now sorted for the LM317 I think, but if anyone has CA3140 in files for LTspice, please post.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

That is an RCA/GE/Intersil/Harris/Intersil (Lots of name changes over the last 30 years) part number, so I would see if it is available on the current Intersil website.

Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net:

Thanks, helps to know the traces, I know it's seen a lot of change. No Spices at Intersil though. Well, 23 actually, but that suggests they don't care about Spice much. :) I bet they do a lot more than 23 different IC's.

If there's a 'standard' modern replacement for CA3140 that you or anyone can suggest, I can look for that too though. It has to have to-zero output swing and be able to be a drop-in replacement for CA3140, if possible.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Lostgallifreyan wrote in news:Xns9C4BD8E389471zoodlewurdle@216.196.109.145:

To loosen the restrictions, no strobe pin is needed. But if it's a direct replacement, even better. I found a recommendation for NTE7144 which looks good. Anyone know if there's any reason NOT to use this as a general purpose replacement for CA3140, or if there's something better?

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

anyone

direct=20

looks=20

purpose=20

Not large problems per se, but something you should know. NTE is relatively expensive compared to similarly or better performing parts that are currently available. Much of NTE stock is surplus and overruns remarked with NTE part numbers.

Reply to
JosephKK

"JosephKK" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I settled for an LT1215 :) Nice slew rate on that. I just plugged in my favoured specs into Digikey's parts filter. Neat idea I should have thought of earlier. LT1215 isn't multisourced though.. I hope some nice single-rail op-amp with fast slew always remains part of a staple diet. I'd have liked a FET front end but I also like what I see of that chip so far.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan