Small potmeters

I'm looking for a couple of small-sized potmeters (and matching knobs). Unfortunately I don't have the specs, but here's a picture I took of a Yamaha synthesizer module which has one of these (marked "Gain"):

I've also seen them used for headphone levels on some audio CD- players.

I'm also interested in finding small push-button switches such as the one in the same photo (marked "Mic/line").

Any idea who makes them and where to buy them?

Reply to
no-spam2

" snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@t69g2000cwt.googlegroups.com:

Yamaha. And Yamaha. Just pay what they ask. Even if you thrash around for a MONTH searching hard every day for a source of custom parts that happen to fit someone else's custom parts exactly, you'll still end up going to Yamaha and asking them, and paying, and considering that it was worth it after all.

Considering they'll not ask much more than a fiver for a single pot and knob, you won't be paying noticeably more than if you'd gone into Maplin or Radio Shack. Just tell them what model number machine it's for. I've bought spares from them before, for FS1R synthesizers, knobs, and a complete control panel. The panel was expensive, but the individual knobs were very cheap.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

From a front panel view ? !!!!!

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Eeyore wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com:

Yes, in this case. Yamaha. They make their own, or get someone to make special orders for them. They probably try to minimise costs by using same type for many things, but it still comes down to Yamaha. Go to source.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

OK, that might have seemed a bit lame, but I basically want (more or less) the same kind of knob which is a lot smaller than any knob I've come across fitting standard potmeters I've used with my projects. I was thinking that someone would recognize the knob and hence know of the approx. dimension of the spindle (or whatever it's called) belonging to it.

As for contacting Yamaha -yes, I could do that if I knew the value of the potmeters I need, but alas I haven't gotten that far with my projects.

I would also need service manuals for a variety of Yamaha synth modules in order to find ones that match the values I'm looking for.

Reply to
no-spam2

" snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

All the more reason to try to get preferred values. If you're really after something horribly specific, you'll have to place the physical form as a lower priority unless you want to pay a LOT of money.

If you can get by with 10K or other preferred value, do it, it makes things easier. You can always pick your fixed resistors to suit, later. Yamaha use those things for gain controls and other controls too, so you might have the pick of LIN or LOG types. Don't worry about the exact model number they use them for, just ask the service staff by phone, and see if they have enough to spare of a given value. I doubt they stock everything according to a specific model, as they try to make things for several models, they'd cross-reference, but store actual inventory by its own description, probably, so they can find them by value, then cross reference later to let you see what they are. If you want more than just a few, they'd probably not sell, but at least you can get samples that way to send to someone who can make thousands.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Have you *any idea* how many variations of pot construction and spindle types there are ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore