Possible counterfeit parts with a GE logo

Last week we had some JAN2N1774A SCRs fail in a system. Failure was due to poor/defective workmanship. The date/code was 9240 (40th week of

1992). I read somewhere that GE quit manufacturing SCRs sometime around 1987.

Externally these do not match the 1981 -1983 date code parts at all. The die was also different. Today I received a "9242 JANTX2N1774A" that had the same external and internal construction. I suspected that it was also counterfeit: the device markings were removed from the case when it was wiped with a Q-tip saturated with Isopropyl alcohol.

(Note: JAN parts are required to pass a marking permanency test that uses stronger solvents than just pure Isopropyl Alcohol.

Does any one out there know when GE shut down their semiconductor plants? I tried looking up the history of GE on the net (I also searched the GIDEP archives for GE semiconductors issues but with no luck).

Thanks, Nermal

Reply to
nermal

I believe Mitsubishi, Weatinghouse and GE formed Powerex to handle power semiconductors. Their first edition data book was published in

1991. They marketed the 2N1770-8 series in a package which does not claim to conform to a TO-XX outline, though I see little difference to TO-64.. Only the 2N1770A-1778A series was offered as JANTX.

Early JAN , JANTX parts were not usually single-sourced, nor do the JEDEC designators generally specify wafer dimensions or metalization/doping patterns.

I have no info on JAN semiconductor marking, save that repeated wiping and scrubbing with IPA will remove marks from some older packages.

It's a poor repair effort that ends up blaming the semiconductor for subsequent failure.

RL

RL

Reply to
legg

People say the same thing about some ICs bought from RadioShacks. Are you sure GE didnt form another company to handle the semiconductors? Motorola "stopped" making semiconductors also. But in reality they actually moved the semiconductors to a different company name, however they still slap on the Motorola insignia on to their chips. Same thing may have happend with your SCRs.

Reply to
Mr. J D

That is correct. My question: does your data book list a GE logo or the General Electric name?

The old JAN style packages all survived scrubbing with IPA. Our company performed DPA on all new Date/Codes on all JAN parts. The old GE SCRs all used the same die. The suspect Date/Code had two different die as well as defective crimps on the CATHODE leads which resulted in an "open circuit" upon first 'power up'. The SCRs were basically DOA.

Reply to
nermal

I'm looking at a dozen JTX2N1777A scrs with PRX datecodes of 89 and

90, source code CECC. I suspect that a GE datecode later than this is odd.

JAN components are traceable.

Perhaps the problem is paperwork that specifies a GE part? This would create a demand that would be hard to fill, opening the door to 'innovators'. RL

Reply to
legg

No, they used the ON logo, and the CPUs are Freescale. They are fully owned, but separate companies. I saw parts marked with ON as soon as we ran out of our existing Motorola stock. On the other hand, Radio Shack bought a lot of surplus parts. Where else would they get 20 year old ICs and have them in their latest packaging? I knew a surplus dealer that sold bulk parts to them.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Fake parts have become an issue in the last few years..Alot of the Audio guys have had big problems with amplifiers because of fake parts. There's a couple threads about it on

BUYER BEWARE!

Reply to
PhattyMo

I think that most people who call shinanagins on fake parts, just dont know how to use them correctly.

Reply to
Mr. J D

Unless you're doing really mundane designs, it's pretty hard to use a part correctly if it's a fake...

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

The ones that I saw did not have a source code on them. The latest "1983" devices had a source code on them and were packaged in an original vapor barrier bag (dated 1987).

On the old style GEs the GATE and CATHODE terminals exited the case trough a ceramic "lid" on top of the case. The hex and stud was copper, the lid was Kovar (Fe, Ni, Co), and plated with pure tin.

The new style "GEs" the GATE and CATHODE leads exited the top through a glass seal. The case (lid and stud) was a Fe alloy with just a trace of Ni. The plating was pure Ni.

We are tracking down the paperwork for the "new" GE devices, in the meantime the new GE lots have been quarantined. We did find a certified source for JANTX2N1774A SCRs.

I suspect the new "GE" SCRs were some from some manufacturers commercial lot that were 'rescued' from the dumpster out back. There is a lot of profit to be made by stamping a JAN or JANTX prefix.

thanks every> >

Reply to
nermal