Part Question

I need to replace a 1 amp fast recovery rectifier diode, out of a power supply, but I'm uncertain of the numbers/letters on the blown part. Can anyone help out?

31DF 4 7K

I'm not sure if it's a "1" after the three of a lower case letter "l" or even an upper case letter "I".

A component shop told me I should be able to use DTE 576 as a replacement part. But, I'm not totally convinced.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Reply to
tarchanjan

They probably meant NTE576, and they're probably right that it'd be a suitable replacement for that component. It's a 5Amp fast diode so it should be good enough. It's also 400 PIV, which should be enough for many (but not all) line-operated supplies.

It won't necessarily fix the unit, as if there is a fault elsewhere you're likely to blow the diode again.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

On 4 May 2005 06:24:56 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com put finger to keyboard and composed:

Go here ...

$$Search?OpenForm

... and search for "*31DF*"

Or you could probably locate the original part (31DF02/04) at

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

power

Can

I've seen 1A diodes in several flavors. There are the usual slow 1N4004 series. Then there are fast recovery types. And then there are ultrafast recovery types. And then there are Schottky rectifiers.

Info I got from a recent discussion here is that if you replace with the wrong kind, they might last for a few weeks or months, then fail. So it's wise to use the right flavor for long-term viability. ;-)

Oh, one other thing. If you had a 1A fail, it might be wise to use a

1.5A version as a replacement.
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Like maybe a snubber RC not doing their job?

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Maybe, but it's more likely a failed-shorted switching transistor. And that might've been because of the snubber RC not doing its job :-). Whenever you find a failed part in a switching power supply there's usually two or three others you haven't found yet!

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa